ad: Schulman-1

Random Wire 9 to 1 Antenna Building, CAHR ARES Antenna

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KG5AHJ, Oct 10, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KG5AHJ

KG5AHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I got my hands on Coffee and Ham Radio 9:1 Random wire Antenna or the CaHRTenna Ares Antenna. I am going to be building the kit with you along for the ride. Swing by and see if I mess up and how I correct or overcome the mistakes.

Frank L.

AA5BK, M6ECG, W8RLL and 10 others like this.
  2. KD2GIY

KD2GIY Ham Member QRZ Page

looks kool

KG5AHJ likes this.
  3. KG5AHJ

And it worked great as an antenna. The follow up video this monday

4. NU4R

NU4R Ham Member QRZ Page

Good job sir! One thing though:( You're having WAAAAAY too much fun Mr. Frank:D

KI5UXW, K7GYB and KG5AHJ like this.
  5. JF1IRQ

JF1IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Can I make it too? I don't know how to procure parts.
    73 JF1IRQ

KG5AHJ and W0NM like this.
  6. KG5AHJ

Thats just the person i am. I can't stop having fun. Glad you enjoyed it

KI5UXW likes this.
  7. KG5AHJ

JF1IRQ likes this.
  8. JF1IRQ

JF1IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

KG5AHJ likes this.
  9. K7GYB

K7GYB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a 9:1 PackTenna that I'll swear by! Very similar in design, it is efficient, easy to carry and deploy, and is my go-to for HF. I can increase or decrease the length by hooking up jumpers connected by 3mm banana clips in-line for when I'm at a location/summit where there may not be enough room for all 74 feet of deployed wire. I'm sure this one works great as well and you can mod this one as I have mine. A 17.5 ft. coax for your feed also doubles as a good counterpoise since with random wires everything after the "antenna in" port is part of your antenna system. I see no difference when hooking up dedicated counterpoises so the coax is all I use now. The only "down" side is the weight of the coax at 17+ feet... I hike in sometimes 2+ days into the Cascades where I recreate and I'm already overweight with gear but the performance is worth it and really no other antenna fits the bill for primitive camping/SOTA work that I do. Great vid and information! 73.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2023
    KG5ZQ, KI5UXW and JF1IRQ like this.
  10. K6ACJ

K6ACJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

All this talk about 9:1 baluns has every newbie ham thinking he has to have one on his antenna even though they have no idea about why its needed or IF it is needed for their particular antenna .

K0UO and KR3DX like this.
  11. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

A simple search on the Zed, if the newbie has an ounce of initiative, can reveal a wealth of information. @WA7ARK has provided volumes of information that other helpful hams have added to on this topic. No reason for being in the dark, the details are all hear for anyone to see,

K0UO likes this.
  12. K6ACJ

K6ACJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Of course Newbies meaning new folks in ham radio will not be familiar with each and every ham radio related web site or book so balun manufactures should include substantial detail to determine if such a balun, any balun is required. Recent LDG Electronics advertisements included meaningful explanatory graphics. Oh well live and learn, 67 years ham radio here.

KR3DX and WD4ELG like this.
  13. W3TKB

W3TKB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've never needed to heat the colored plastic ends up beforehand to remove them from ring terminals. Just grab and hold the ring portion in a wide mouth pair of piers (like standard slip joint pliers), and then grab a hold of the plastic portion with a pair of needle nose pliers...and simultaneously pull and twist the plastic piece. It will just slide ride off. Be forewarned: if you twist the pair of pliers holding the ring end, OR you inadvertently grab the barrel of the terminal along with the plastic piece in your needle nose, you WILL twist and deform the ring portion, especially on lighter gauge units.

14. WA4TW

WA4TW Ham Member QRZ Page

https://udel.edu/~mm/ham/randomWire/
    Before you go to cutting the antenna wire checkout the chart for length. It is a random wire antenna but not any random length will work. I have built at least 30 of these last 10 was 173’ for 160-10m with less than a 2:1 swr across 160-10m. If you had just connected the ground to your shield you co-ax would become your counter poise. Oh and you use the length in the white on the chart not the colored section.

15. KL1R

KL1R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Q: How is a 9:1 balun supposed to work with an end-fed antenna? I thought a 49:1 balun was required, due to the end impedance in a half-wave wire being literally in the thousands of ohms, not 450 ohms like this balun has....