ad: HamHats-1

RAF Chicksands FLR-9

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by N9AAT, Mar 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N9AAT

N9AAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Any ex-ESC guys out there that might have info about the FLR-9 site at Chicksands? Google Earth seems to suggest that someone has set up, or once did set up, an FRD-10 on the site. Just curious. I'm seeing a second circle inside the old array that looks kinda suspicious.

And has anyone noticed in GE that the FRD-10A at Imperial Beach in Baja looks pretty well manned these days with cars and people and stuff. Hmmmm. :rolleyes:

2. KC6VVT

KC6VVT Ham Member QRZ Page

RE: Imperial Beach, CA -
    The old AN/FRD-10A operations building inside the CDAA was emptied of all radio systems, including HFDF and the general receivers area back in 1998. I was an employee of the NSGA San Diego then, and assisted in that ripout, I had worked on-base from 1980 to closing the activity for radio use in 1998 when I was RIFed, then retired.
    A new Navy tenant took over the CDAA operations building later, and it is now being used for Navy general service training. The emergency power generators, UPS, and even air conditioning were removed, and windows added for some ventilation since abandonment.
    Note the CDAA outer ring High Band array where five sleeve monopole antennas were removed near the North sidewalk, just West of the walkway, in 1998. The CDAA has a service life extension maintenance project before closing, and the biggest part were the reflectors screen wires that are holding up better than expected, but noted some wires were broken or loose last year when I visited.

3. GM4JPZ

GM4JPZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi from RAF Digby denizen

Might have worked with you at one time. I was an L1 linguist at Digby in 1968 and part of 1971. Your guys save my bacon late one night when I hadn't noticed my tape recorder had run out of tape (wow, sounds like 19th-century technology). Was I glad you were there:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.