ad: Retevis-1

Radio Australia Special Event or would you like to try a 20db HF antanna?

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by VK3ZYZ, Feb 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N1NA

N1NA Ham Member QRZ Page

I was stationed in Vietnam (Danang, at the time) and revolved our shifts to a DF hut. This was in 1962 and no Armed Forces Radio. VOA played music from my parent's generation, but tuned in Radio Australia and kept us up to date with the latest music from OZ and the UK. It was really great on my Zenith Transoceanic
    radio. It was a huge sanity and morale booster for us. Had to move north to Phu Bai and my CO was a major in the Royal Australian Regiment (SAS) - they treated us geek yanks great, as long we could keep up with the Fosters, sing "Waltzing Matilda" and "Charlotte the Harlot".
    They and loved it when we pulled in Radio Australia on my radio. Those guys would end the "shift" at 8 AM, after doing "stuff" we were not privy to, but not "gentle" all night. I Love Australians, except when the grabbed the Americas Cup in Newport, RI. (My XYLs home)

VK3ZYZ and WN1MB like this.
  2. VK3ZYZ

VK3ZYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It all went off pretty well. Thanks all for participating.
    The setup has been packed away and there is just the BALUNs to remove now. We did not want to remove them at night, so will take them down in a couple of days.
    Now I have extreme antenna envy!

3. VK3ZYZ

VK3ZYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

On another forum, I was asked about the RA event, so, even tho' this is a bit old, here is a bit more info that may be of interest..
    I found a few videos...

This is a very good overview of the setup.

some more...
    (Search youtube for VI3RA)

moon bounce...

Here is the sign off....
    (this did bring a tear to my eyes as I used to hear it many times a day when I worked there years ago.)