ad: Halibut-1

QSO Today Ep 58 - Chuck Adams - K7QO - CW at 145 WPM

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by 4Z1UG, Sep 13, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. 4Z1UG

4Z1UG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Chuck Adams, K7QO, is working the world with his single channel 20 meter transceiver just to show that he can. CW is Chuck’s mode of choice because of its efficiency and as a gateway to making ham radio affordable to anyone. Chuck shares his ham radio life, his Manhattan Muppet board construction method, and how to copy call signs at 140 words a minute, with Eric, 4Z1UG, on this episode of QSO Today.

Show Notes: http://www.qsotoday.com/podcasts/k7qo
    Podcast Link: http://goo.gl/Q69QoL
    iTunes Store: http://goo.gl/CvLNmV
    Stitcher: http://goo.gl/uhf1XZ

K1XS likes this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Chuck is tha MAN!

Excelsior!

Chip W1YW

KC7HDE likes this.
  3. N0SAP

N0SAP Ham Member QRZ Page

I love how your code speed is judged on copying a callsign then call it a QSO. I hear guys/gals say all the time, "I can only copy 10 WPM." Morse Code is not a speed contest, it's about communicating. Folks, this is a hobby, so get on the air with your 10 WPM and have fun. Chuck can talk to himself

W4RAA, K9FV and K2ADK like this.
  4. VK6WB

VK6WB Ham Member QRZ Page

I think so... CW is just another Hobbie . 25wpm I think is good to have QSO with your
    Friend and DX. 145wpm I think is crazy. No need this 145wpm crap.

W4RAA and W5BIB like this.
  5. W1FMR

W1FMR Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations Chuck ! The wimps come crying and whining out of the woodwork and
    since they do not like it, you should stop doing it. :) It's the Liberal way !

Jim / W1FMR

NY0MN, WJ1MK and 4Z1UG like this.
  6. K5KDT

K5KDT Ham Member QRZ Page

What a sad state of affairs - he is proud of the fact that he can copy @ 140wpm and so is denigrated by others because they "don't see the need". He expressed clearly the reason why he sees it as desirable, but I guess that was too hard to grasp. Besides that, he shared his philosophy on learning CW, it seems everybody missed that entirely.

Congrats Chuck. I'm in CW Academy right now (4 lesson), starting to properly hear the letters and even a few words. I don't use visual aids and though it's slow going, I'm getting there.

Hope to QSO with you some day soon!

73 de K5KDT
    Kevin

K9FV, AE0CA, KC7HDE and 2 others like this.
  7. K2ADK

K2ADK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My thoughts exactly. Code is a very genteel manner of speaking; it's more considered, more thoughtful than voice. Too fast and you lose that charm.

8. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

I think all CW regardless of the speed should be supported. I can only do 5 WPM, sometimes 10 to 15 or even 20, it depends on the fist sending. I tend to think that one day, I may very well end up operating nothing but CW.

I am grateful for every ham who knows CW and cared enough to learn it. If there is ever a global disaster such as the Carrington event it will probably be solar powered QRP CW that gets through. Now I wish I still had my FT-817, so now I may end up buying a third one... would have thought I would have learned by now and kept the last one I had.. lol. ;)

9. NS0R

NS0R Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow.. I can't believe the negative people out there. Is this what amateur radio has come to? Chuck is proud of his CW abilities, and rightfully so. I imagine the people behind the negative posts may not know CW at all or are insecure with their own abilities.

Great accomplishment Chuck.

W0BTU, K1TGX, NY0MN and 3 others like this.
  10. 4Z1UG

4Z1UG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think that it is great that he is having a blast working a single channel, one watt, 20 meter transceiver, that he built for less than $50.00. And of course, he is such a gentleman, that he is quite content slowing down his CW to QSO with anyone at any speed.

K1TGX, KC7HDE and AD5KO like this.
  11. K2YWE

K2YWE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

145 WPM is fantastic if you can converse. The best in conversation CW I've evern done was in the mid 70's WPM, although I can catch a thing or two at higher speeds. I'm afraid there won;'t be many QSO's around at 145. It's hard enough to find much over 40 . . . My hat's off to you Chuck! de K2YWE

NY0MN and AD5KO like this.
  12. KE6K

KE6K Ham Member QRZ Page

The best I can do in a QSO is around 25, and that is only after going through CWAcademy levels 1 & 2. But I'm happy for him because he is happy about it. It ion no way challenges or threatens me. I still enjoy what I do

13. NY0MN

NY0MN Ham Member QRZ Page

Me I have trouble at 5 wpm, to copy at 140 wpm is an incredible talent to have. You Go Chuck and congrats on the ability to copy at 140 wpm.
    KA0ZLG

14. M0PHE

M0PHE Ham Member QRZ Page

What's the very best morse there is? Solid copy that's what...

15. KF7PCL

KF7PCL Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it is important to distinguish conversational speed and burst copy. I can copy 20 WPM conversationally but I can burst copy callsigns up to 40 WPM

When working contests or dxpeditions, you only need to copy short, fast exchanges. I don't see what the issue is. 145 WPM is very impressive even if it only a burst copy speed.

Amateur radio is something different for everybody. Similarly, CW is something different for everybody. Personally, I primarily use CW for 6 meter DXing and would prefer
    to ragchew in voice. I think CW use should be supported no matter how or why you are using.