ad: UR5CDX-1

QRZ.COM need a QRP forum!

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by AF8F, Oct 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC4URI

KC4URI Ham Member QRZ Page

Staying positive

:cool: As long as we can keep it positive and not a QRO bashing forum. This idea of a QRP forum has great merit, a place to exchange information, post events and schedule ideas.
    73/72 KC4URI

2. PD7MAA

PD7MAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Count me in !

It's a great idea :)

73 John

3. SM5MEK

SM5MEK Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a QRP forum here

4. W8ZNX

W8ZNX Ham Member QRZ Page

do not feel guilty

use to be the ARCI certificate said QRP 100 Watts or less
    QRPp was five watts or less
    then sometime in the late 70's or 80's all of a sudden QRP
    it was five watts or less

lots glow bug low power ops all of a sudden
    were now QRO
    got so i stopped paying dues to any of the QRP clubs

funny how somebody using a store bought K-3 at five watts CW on twenty meters
    to a store bought six el wide spaced Yagi on a commercially erected one hundred foot tower
    is QRP

but another op running a HB rock bound ten watt glow bug
    and dipole on eighty meters all of a sudden was no longer QRP

mac
    dit dit

5. N5SHI

N5SHI Ham Member QRZ Page

I run QRP 100% of the time I have 4 Icom 703s ,1 817 nd radios I have made over 4500 contacts this year mobile... Qrp is King 73s old men..

6. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Join us for the Texas State Parks On The Air in April. We had quite a few QRP ops last year and we won the category using 40m phone and an NVIS dipole.

7. KI6MPU

KI6MPU Ham Member QRZ Page

if I connect my 1.25 wave kite antenna for 40M to my 817, is that QRP ? (most people can't tell I am using only 5W)

8. N1YWB

N1YWB Ham Member QRZ Page

QRP is whatever you say it is. I run 10-15w out of my K2 and I call it QRP. I only dial it back to 5w for contests.

9. WK9U

WK9U Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd like to see a QRP forum for threads as well. It sounds like a great idea. That's fantastic.

On a different note, Sadly, the other night replying back to DX in a massive pileup, a station kept repeating QRP and most everyone backed off which is imo very good manners just to let the calling station recognize the QRP. When the user transmitted his call, the DX station asked what power level and antenna configuration. Well, the station said 18 watts rig with a 9500 running legal. Needless to say, there was a lot of tuning up on the freq. over his finishing QSO with responses of " Lid " being the most polite.

10. WK9U

WK9U Ham Member QRZ Page

Pete,
    Excellent post and well said my good Sir.

11. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm glad to read your response. Dave (WN6U) gave me a Christmas present of a K1-4 that he built & hasn't been able to use for years due to antenna restrictions & etc.
    I'm able to get about 6 or 7 watts out on 40m & always feel guilty about considering it a "QRP" rig.
    Someday I'll run "BIG POWER" like you !!!! lol lol :rolleyes:

12. NC4JB

NC4JB Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like to see a QRP forum as well. I'm fascinated by the possibilities with QRP portable, mobile, etc. There are endless topics of discussion given all the operating and technical challenges with QRP. I would be really interested in a discussion of QRP digital modes, or say operating on FM or AM with less than 5 watts. All kinds of cool stuff to be done!

13. KD8OTD

KD8OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

Those of you who are doing QRP most of the time, do you do CW, digital, or phone? Some combination? Most of the QRP'ers that I am familiar with say it's not QRP if it's not CW, but that seems pretty restrictive :)

14. W8ZNX

W8ZNX Ham Member QRZ Page

sure most QRP work is done on CW
    but
    it's not so much a mode or even the power
    it is more like a doing more with less philosophy

nothing does more with less than CW

anybody that tells you running 2.5 watts SSB is not QRP
    is full of it

mac
    ARCI member since 1975

15. AA9SD

AA9SD Ham Member QRZ Page

Operating QRP I've done CW, PSK31 and even SSB but PSK31 usually wins out. PSK31 has lots of punch per watt but at the expense of needing much more equipment than CW.

--Sherman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.