ad: Flexradio-1

QRZ-1 Explorer, Ham Radio Review And Walkthough!!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, Aug 20, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KI4KWR

KI4KWR Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I want to say this issue is likely isolated to the user software version. Nobody has reported anything to me or GigaParts Customer Support.

2. KN6ZGA

KN6ZGA Ham Member QRZ Page

I want to mention that I odered the QRZ-1 Explorer from Gigaparts on 6/27/23 and it still hasn't shipped. It was originally to be delivered before July for an upcoming road trip. The Grand Total was $36.62. I am going to cancel. Are there any low cost alternatives? I already have a UV-5R that has a very weak TX signal.

3. KI4KWR

Currently we are awaiting more programming cables...reason for delay. Was that not told to you by our Customer Service Team?

4. KN6VYP

KN6VYP Ham Member QRZ Page

A $4 Baofeng cable is the same and works. CHIRP programming is easiest.

5. KN6VYP

KN6VYP Ham Member QRZ Page

TYT UV88 and Retevis RT85 are exactly the same, but their firmware allows unlocking by holding down F and 1 and power up. Voila, TX/RX 136-174 & 400-470. This isn't possible with Explorer QRZ-1 firmware, which there's no way to update. It's hobbled strictly to amateur bands, PERIOD.

KI4KWR likes this.
  6. KI4KWR

Actually, have had more customers state RT Systems software not bug infested as CHIRP has been. Don't use CHIRP but local hams state the same response.

7. KO6AJT

KO6AJT Ham Member QRZ Page

How do you mars mod this radio?

8. KO6AJT

the reason I would like to Mars Mod this is because I would like to speak on the GMRS/FRS frequencies

9. KI4KWR

The QRZ-1 is strictly for amateur band use only and reason firmware is locked down.

N9WFT likes this.
  10. KO6AJT

thanks

11. KD9YUM

KD9YUM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Did you end up getting this antenna?

12. KI4KWR

The SRH77CA is the correct third-party antenna since the radio requires a SMA antenna. Remember SMA-F has the threads on the antenna thus screwing into the radio where SMA alone has the threads on the radio side.

13. KN5AML

KN5AML Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the radio. Received today from Gigaparts. Delivery in two days. Expect good start using the RT Systems software and included programming cable.

14. W5TTA

W5TTA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm having this problem too. Despite following the paper manual to the letter, I cannot delete or overwrite the first 2 channels saved in memory, though I haven't had trouble saving to channels 3 and above.

Rebecca
    KJ5CSJ

KE8VUW likes this.
  15. KE8VUW

KE8VUW Ham Member QRZ Page

My Explorer 1, the battery tab fell off somewhere. The battery won't start in. It's now a paper weight I guess.