ad: TinyPaddle-1

QRPGuys Mini No Tune End Fed Half Wave Antenna Build

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6F, May 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

QRPGuys Mini No Tune End Fed Half Wave Antenna cover 80m - 10m, and can handle up to 10 watts. The QRPGuys Mini No Tune End Fed Half Wave Antenna is designed to be used without a tuner and give an SWR of ≤1.2 for any portion of the band. QRP Guys' tests have been favorable for ≤2.0 SWR or better for the entire band, except 80m. 80m can be optimized for the upper or lower portion of the band.

KB3HAA, VK5FUSE, AJ6KZ and 7 others like this.
  2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It looks like God's gift to the amateur world.

1.2 SWR where you want it. Wow That's as good as my dummy load.

73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" 2 miles of wire in the air

KA0HCP, WJ6F and W7ASA like this.
  3. KC8UD

KC8UD Ham Member QRZ Page

I've gotta say, I've been using a 80 meter end fed half wave (EFHW) for the past three years as my primary antenna on all HF bands (80 - 6). It is a very impressively performing antenna and loads up with good SWR on all HF bands. I built mine with two FT240-43 cores glued together for a little more heat dissipation at 100 watts and it works great. I would imagine this smaller version would be a great performer for QRP operation. I'm a believer. It would be well worth making one.

KK7SS, AJ6KZ, KJ7RDV and 4 others like this.
  4. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice ! :cool:
    G3SEA/KH6

WJ6F likes this.
  5. NA4A

NA4A XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just built one for friend. They work fb

Attached Files:

VK5FUSE, KA0USE, KJ7RDV and 4 others like this.
  6. NI9Y

NI9Y XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I purchased a different kit about 15 years ago and you have encouraged me to build mine. Now I only have to fine the kit.

KK7SS, KA0USE, WJ6F and 1 other person like this.
  7. AA5BK

AA5BK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

good stuff, thanks for posting.

WJ6F likes this.
  8. NA4A

9. NA4A

N5TTI and AA5BK like this.
  10. K4MID

K4MID Ham Member QRZ Page

It’s a great kit (like the others I’ve gotten from them) and I love the finished antenna, but it was a pain getting everything into that case and attached. Let’s just say that I recommend that no young kids are around to hear the words you may say.

Good video, thanks for sharing.

VK5FUSE, NA4A, KY4K and 2 others like this.
  11. KD2MIC

KD2MIC Ham Member QRZ Page

I also just built this. As someone with no soldering experience this wasn't bad. Yes it's very tiny, even for my smaller hands. Hope you don't have meat hooks trying this build.
    I actually had to buy a second unit because the first one didn't work and I thought I just borked it. Come to find out my first kit came with copper colored enameled wire, second came with red. Now I have two working units...

KA0USE, K4MID and WJ6F like this.
  12. N1RBD

N1RBD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I built the one with the bare PCB. Same thing except mine uses the coax shield as the CP. Use it as a linked 20/30/40 EFW. Have a second one for 60m. Works well.

K4MID and WJ6F like this.
  13. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

My fat fingers sure didn't make it easy, and I did keep the kids away to protect their ears.

K4MID likes this.
  14. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

That dissipation is part of the reason your antenna's SWR is so "good" over a relatively wide bandwidth. (The SWR of a dummy antenna is low over a wide bandwidth, too.) A tunable matching network might seem like a practical pain, but a well-implemented such network will get more of your transmitter power to the antenna.

K4YNZ, VE3VXO and N1RBD like this.
  15. N2EDF

N2EDF Ham Member QRZ Page

Want to built one but need to know how to buy a kit and pay for it!

73 de N2EDF, Bob,. now in senior living at age 87 but still trying to stay active.

rcsheltonJr@@verizon.net
    175 Quaker Church Road Apt 1111
    Randolph NJ 07869

WJ6F and KA0USE like this.