ad: MLSons-1

QRP fun with ham radio hiking pole and yaesu VX1r

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by KC2BNW, Sep 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC2BNW

KC2BNW Ham Member QRZ Page

Had some fun yesterday testing the 500mw vx1r and using the low power option at 50mw to hit repeaters. Also tested the vx7r for a simplex qso. The radio is part of my edc ham radio bag and combined it with my hiking pole and a whip antenna. You can see how I wear the bag in the video on my belt with an s-biner clip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see this is a small bag and it only houses a vx1r which i used for making this video. I combined it with my external antennas to attempt to get the most out of the unit. It was very hard and challenging to get a simplex contact with the vx1r. I only got one local contact but it was fun nonetheless hitting repeaters with 50mw with a 3 element yagi antenna. Feel free to skip around the video as its long and boringly nerdy. Haha.

KI4POT likes this.
  2. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice.

I happen to be traveling this weekend and brought my VX7, a roll-up slim-jim antenna, and a 6m dipole. I did some playing around last night with 6m AM using a wire dipole. With 1 watt nobody heard me, but oh well.

If I saw what I think I saw in beginning of your video, you're using your VX1 on 2m with the dipole in a horizontal position. You would probably do better to orient it vertically because 2m FM is typically transmitted via vertical antennas (HTs, auto antennas, repeater antennas). Operating with a horizontal antenna will result in you being down signal-wise quite a bit.

Chris

KC2BNW likes this.
  3. KC2BNW

Oh I love the vx 7r! later in the video I use the yagi in vetical fashsion. The preview picture is a bit misleading. That vx1r is my favorite micro small ht out of the vx line. I have the 3r and like it alot too. The vx1r is a bit more versatile in its powering options for me. I thought I was the only guy trying out the am part of 6m with my vx7r. I love that radio and have been putting that radio through hell on the trails! Such a good radio despite the common ceramic filter breaking down every so often. where were you last night? on a hill or at the home qth? how do you like the vx7r?

4. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought my VX-7 as a new Tech when I got licensed 14 years ago. I went with it because it cover the most bands and had AM capability, so I thought I'd get to do more until I got around to upgrading (this was before the morse requirement was dropped). I am currently in Eastern NC, so it's flat as a pancake here.

As for liking the VX-7, I do like it as a swiss-army-knife of a radio, its ruggedness, and size, but I've switched to an old Icom IC-V8 for my SOTA FM work because the Icom's strict 2m receiver is more sensitive and better able to filter out QRM than the VX-7's wideband receiver (at one Summit I've activated, the VX-7 is completely deaf while the IC-V8 is able to make contacts). They both have their uses though.

Chris

KC2BNW likes this.
  5. KC2BNW

Yes the reciever may not be as good as a decent mono bander. I have experimented with a vx 170 and a vx1r. the 170 seems to be a bit more sensitive in my subjective opinion. i still use both. i also bring a yaesu ft1dr for the aprs.