ad: Radclub22-1

QCX Mini - Tuning for Maximum Smoke

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Jun 29, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Chris!

M1WML likes this.
  2. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

NAH BOYZ, YOU HAVEN'T SEEN REAL "SMOKE" UNTIL YOU LIT OFF A VACUUM-TUBE PROJECT & REAL SMOKE BILLOWED UP FROM THE UNIT ON THE WORK-BENCH!!! :) :) :) While with a solid-state project there'd only be a little whiff of smoke! unless maybe it was a 70w/50 amp switching supply!

KM9G and M1WML like this.
  3. KC8YXA

KC8YXA Ham Member QRZ Page

That looks Like A Nice kit Hope The Make One For 10m.

4. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

;)

KM9G likes this.
  5. WB6NVD

WB6NVD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey -
    I was a brand new Electronic Tech when I went to a Coast Guard Bouy Tender in Alaska circa 1970.

The 125 Watt TDE-1 transmitter was the main LF rig. See attached picture. The two bowl insulators on top were the output and were routed from the radio shack to the external antenna.

I immediately got the manual and carefully read how to tune and operate the thing while we were in port. I wanted to be familiar with everything before we got underway. While I was gently peaking/dipping the meters with the thirteen controls, the 1st class radioman watched me from his chair. He knew the system inside and out and had his own way of doing things.

When I proudly finished tuning for max power out he said "No - that's not how to do it". He took a cigarette from behind his ear and held it close to the output bowl while keying the thing. He twisted all the controls in random order while drawing an arc with his cigarette. When he had the longest arc, he declared "Thats how it's done" and puffed on his newly lit cig.

He literally tuned for maximum smoke.

Attached Files:

M1WML likes this.
  6. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember when we used to do things by feel and mentoring. That right there is just awesome!

ZL2TOY and M1WML like this.
  7. ZL2TOY

ZL2TOY Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry for hijacking your thread Steve, I have a stupid noobie question and don't feel it needs it's own thread.

Can these cw transceivers be used for mods like ft8? I'm assuming not, but don't know enough to know for sure. Thank you for the videos, they are always enjoyable! 73 de ZL

M1WML likes this.
  8. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

There are some mods for it to be able to do this, but I haven't done any more than heard that its possible. This is ham radio, all things are possible.

M1WML and ZL2TOY like this.
  9. WA4NID

WA4NID XML Subscriber QRZ Page

OMG is that a true story? EPIC EPIC WOW!

M1WML likes this.
  10. KG7AV

KG7AV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Holy crap, I heard Bens Best Bent Nail fire up and went into PTSD flashback mode!

11. N5AQM

N5AQM Ham Member QRZ Page

Got mine up and running, made a contact, but it is not happy in the box.... Need to work on that but everything fit. Tuning Torroids doubled my power to a bit over 4 watts as measured on the 20W dummy load sample point. 17.5V.

-Mike

12. N5AQM

Fixed! Made several contacts with good reports with everything buttoned up in the box! :) Currently running WSPR on 20m to burn it in. 10min off and 2 min on. Being spotted all over the planet. One spot cycle was spotted in Germany as well as VK land on an OCFD @35ft! Lotsa Fun!

-Mike

KM9G likes this.
  13. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

How did you get it on WSPR?

14. N5AQM

This will do stand alone WSPR..... Built in!

I started by Reading the Manual! (RTFM) :)

Took a bit to get the hang of it but now it is pretty simple.

Beacon 6.1 ===== WSPR
    Frequency 6.2=====14.097.140 (you have 200hz to work with)
    Frame 6.3=========10 (minutes between cycles)
    Start 6.4========02 (must be an even number) (will xmit 02, 12, 22 minutes after you start)
    WSPR Call 6.5 =======N5AQM (with a space before my call, you will need to put 2 spaces)
    Grid Square 6.6======= Your 4 charcter grid sq
    WSPR Power 6.7=======See explanation in manual
    Set Time 6.8========== I set mine to WWV time hack UTC(but you only need to set minutes to the second)

Back out and go to "save settings" and hit enter and it should take off and start running!

I am now running the rig at 7.8V for WSPR to reduce the power down to under a watt to go easy on the finals. They were getting pretty toasty @4W after a 2 minute keydown.

Check me out on WSPRnet.org Was spotted in Africa and China on the same cycle (before I reduced the power) Ant is a simple OCFD @35ft in an inverted V configuration.

The WSPR mode was a selling point for me. I can also receive WWV on 10mhz with it! It even puts out power on 30m (~1w) and hears ok (Filtering not good though but I doubt anybody will notice)

This has been a great resource: https://groups.io/g/QRPLabs/topics

-Mike

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    KP4SX likes this.
  15. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

Short answer is NO. FT8 requires SSB transmission.

ZL2TOY likes this.