ad: ProAudio-1

Politico Article Raises Concerns of Amateur Radio Parity Act

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh There's No Problem.... The Bill is Moving Right along!

H.R. 5515: National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2019
    This bill’s text for status Placed on Calendar in the Senate (Jun 5, 2018)

73 and All The Best!
    DE W8LV Bill

N5PZJ and KC8VWM like this.
  2. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

"I just don't get those that complain about the restrictions of an HOA/CC&R. You signed the contract,..."

-So did the folks that wanted dishes. And Guess What? They Got Dishes!

"Since it's entirely your choice of residence, then aren't you asking for your cake-and-eat-it-too?"

-Yes! Exactly! Because it's OUR Cake!

"This is such a horribly old old old argument. "

-Yep. An old old argument. About OUR Cake.

"Of which 99.9% of you will never use in an actual emergency."

-It's 100% OUR Cake.
    We'll use it when we want to and how we want to.

"Which is REALLY more important to you... the hobby or your home?"

-Ohhh.... would that be like "your Money or Your Life?" No. We're Mad As Hell, and We Are Not Going to Take It Anymore. WE decide what hobby or hobbies to do in OUR Home.

N5PZJ likes this.
  3. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Then you (not necessarily YOU dear reader) probably should have been wiser in your choice of homes. Only the obtuse would sign an agreement they really don't agree with.

Seems to be much ado about a buncha whiners exercising poor choices. If you didn't have the foresight to your interest in the hobby, then why is it okay to break a contract?

IMO, your home choice is WAY more important than a "what-if" of what's essentially a hobby.

4. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

"YOU dear reader) probably should have been wiser in your choice of homes. Only the obtuse would sign an agreement they really don't agree with."

-No... we GOT Wiser by organizing for CHANGE.
    We do that here.

Only the Obtuse would be happy with the Status Quo.

N5PZJ likes this.
  5. K2NCC

HOAs might be the bane of many, but it's hardly the status quo. The majority of homes aren't limited as such.

Which you do you love more... amateur radio or living close to family, school, work, etc.? You can't always have both.

IMO, the latter is of greater interest than a "maybe" of providing emergency services. Afterall, the REAL e-comms pros DO have their own radios.

WA7PRC likes this.
  6. K2NCC

Besides... if the shit-hits-the-fan, it's arguably better to have a portable/mobile station. Something you can use ANYWHERE vs just in your shack. Which might as easily end up under ash or water or without juice.

Does your station have backup power? I'd wager less than 10% of hams do. What good is your HOA approved antenna if the service is out?

IMO, it's much ado about nothing. Another wager; Not 1 out of a 1000 of us have ever saved a life with a radio. At best, we're passing traffic. But somehow a few folks are willing to undo millions of voluntary contracts in order to be better prepared for something that will likely never happen.

cakeandeatittoo.jpg

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    WA7PRC likes this.
  7. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

"Which you do you love more... amateur radio or living close to family, school, work, etc.? You can't always have both."

Sure we can!

N5PZJ likes this.
  8. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

"Something you can use ANYWHERE vs justin your shack. Which might aseasily end up under ash or water orwithout juice."

"Does your station have backup power? I'd wager less than10% of hams do. What good is your HOA approvedantenna if the service is out?"

Hams in areas NOT hit with a disaster can help those that are. Most of them will be listening from their homes. Because that's where they live.

Absolutely Agreed! Having Having backup power is ALWAYS a good idea, for sure!

N5PZJ likes this.
  9. K2NCC

Rarely. At best.

Asking to re-do a contract you voluntarily agreed to in order to accommodate a hobby is energy better put toward to just relocating to a more ideal place.

WA7PRC likes this.
  10. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

"Not1 out of a 1000 of us have ever saved a life with a radio. At best, we're passing traffic. But somehowa few folks are willing to undo millions of voluntary contracts in order to be better prepared forsomething that will likely never happen."

All the MORE reason to change the Status Quo!

N5PZJ likes this.
  11. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

No, I don't think so. I wouldn't move from my home just to get access to a satellite dish. I'd change the law instead. Oh yea...they did!

Nor would I move from my home just to get access to a ham antenna.
    Oh yea... soon we won't have to!

N5PZJ likes this.
  12. K2NCC

I'm not fooled by the ability of amateur radio to save lives. I get that the ARRL promotes it as the "when all else fails" philosophy, but I've yet to meet or hear of anyone who actually SAVED A LIFE.

Passed traffic so someone else can save a life, sure, but most of the florescent vest-wearing whackers are just wasting time. IMO, energy better spent on learning First Aid, CPR, etc. Why call for help when you can actually BE the help?

Sure, there are several examples of great heroism. But is it really worth negating millions of voluntary contracts for that "what-if"?

13. K2NCC

Can you really compare a 2-foot dish to what amateur radio requires? Okay then, you can have your amateur station; But the antenna must not be larger than any modern dish. And only on a tripod on your apartment patio.

Absurd eh? Then don't use that as a defense.

14. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Fluffy words in HR555/ARPA are like shiny coins... sleight-of-hand to divert attention from that little FCC Rule, which lurks behind the smoke and mirrors.

After the smoke clears, the only thing left will be that pesky little FCC Rule.

The day that new FCC Rule goes into effect is a coronation day for the HOA, sitting upon their legal throne, as the newly crowned monarch over many ham radio antennas.

ARRL served that crown to them on a silver platter, using our funds to pay for it.

K2NCC likes this.
  15. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

"Passed traffic so someone else can save a life, sure,"

-Thank You for helping to save a life by radio...proving the point that it does so!

"I'm not fooled by the ability of amateur radio to save lives."

-Me Neither. You just underscored that Amateur Radio does indeed save lives... No Fooling, and Thanks Again for both your Service and Proving that point!

"is it really worth negating millions of voluntary contracts for that "what-if"?

-Of Course it is!

N5PZJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.