ad: ProAudio-1

PINE BOARD TRANSMITTER BUILD BEGINS

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K9EID/SK2024, Jul 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N4JGO

N4JGO Ham Member QRZ Page

This has been a fun project for new builders as well as old timers. I totally agree with what you are suggesting. That is exactly what I did on the one I am building, plus I added terminal covers to boot. I added pictures to my QRZ page.
    Bob
    N4JGO

2. W6MQI

W6MQI Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not presently building this project, but I too agree switch the hot side not the neutral.

Bob is Ham Nation going to have a on air gathering of all the pine board transmitters or a mini pine board contest with each transmitter listed with a special PB# work 10 pine board transmitters get certificate? Maybe that will spur some interest in people to get started in home brewing.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  3. K4ACS

K4ACS Ham Member QRZ Page

I took a liking to technology when I was about two. My Dad built a "New for 1969" Heathkit GR-180 color TV as our Christmas present in 1968 and I couldn't wait for the magic glow to happen. Later he built an SB-401/303 (SS receiver) set with the SB-600 and SB-630 accessories I now have and am restoring. From his teachings on electricity to my own education and experiences with current based technology that solid state uses, I'd much rather use high voltage tube equipment. Remember, ignorance and current are what kills, not voltage. Learn how to handle high voltage rather than avoid it. It just might save a life. https://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~p616/safety/fatal_current.html

I look at it this way, the state of solid state is so fragile that if you see mushroom clouds on the horizon, tube radios will most likely be the only radios working if there's anyone left to communicate with. By the very nature of discreet electronic design, they were naturally hardened against Alpha particles and flew on every space mission and every satellite launched and still do. Tube finals are used on every broadcast satellite in orbit because of their durability and reliability. When all else fails, vacuum tubes can be relied upon.

Keep up the good work Mr. Heil. Teaching younger generations how to respect and use electricity through experimentation and working examples is a big plus!

73!
    Smitty
    K4ACS
    heathkit-interests.blogspot.com

4. JP7MBO

JP7MBO Ham Member QRZ Page

I got my power supply working!! Thanks Bob!

Attached Files:

5. OH2FFY

OH2FFY Ham Member QRZ Page

Easy question to answer.
    Back in the old days , most Hams knew something about radio electronics and electricity.

Now days most Hams know about contesting , prepping , storm spotting , SOTA , repeaders , boy scouts , compewders - - almost everything EXCEPT for radio.

[​IMG]

With more than half of the US Hams being at Tech class level , with essentially no knowledge of electronics ,, I think it is GOOD that they don't play with high voltages.

gregW:) OH2FFY

6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

7. K4EAY

K4EAY Ham Member QRZ Page

Where is the crystal?

8. N0MBK

N0MBK Ham Member QRZ Page

How can I find the plans for the power supply. N0mbk 1 at hotmail. Com

9. N4EWT

N4EWT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Bob,

I started seeking the parts for the transmitter build and found that the 2.5Mh RF choke from Radio Daze isn't available anymore. I've searched quite a bit for one like it but no luck so far. I am definitely a noob and looking for a reasonable alternative. Thanks

10. JP7MBO

11. JP7MBO

Bob, I have two left if you want them let me know.

12. N4EWT

N4EWT Ham Member QRZ Page

Jesus,
    I found one locally in a friend's junk box. Thanks!