ad: CQMM-1

PINE BOARD TRANSMITTER BUILD BEGINS

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K9EID/SK2024, Jul 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K9EID/SK2024

K9EID/SK2024 QRZ Lifetime Member #477 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The Pine Board Project begins building the 80 and 40 meter AM tube transmitter on Ham Nation this week. Join the hundreds who are following the hundreds who are building this two band transmitter built on Pine Board. Put Ham Nation in Google and follow the show on Leo Laporte's TWIT network each Wednesday at 8 Pm, CDT. All of the video clips and diagrams are also at www.heilsound.com. Warm up those soldering irons and join in the fun.

Attached Files:

N2UHC, K4EAY, N5YCK and 3 others like this.
  2. PD3WMZ

PD3WMZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

I love this, I am a builder myself.
    Love to see the schematic.

I recently rebuilded the Marconi R1155, was great fun.
    Check it out on my website PD3WMZ.

Tell what you think.

73 and God Bless

Jo

3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's pretty nostalgic, and reminds me of my first transmitter that was on a piece of plywood it had a 6L6 tube.

4. KE0GHU

KE0GHU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just finished my power supply this week, I am looking forward to seeing the transmitter parts list and schematics when they are posted

Attached Files:

5. W4FJT

W4FJT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Would make a good retro kit.

6. KO0M

KO0M Ham Member QRZ Page

Was just wondering "hope you dont get mad" why such HIGH voltage for a starter project? I know some people who are very interested in this project but, the high voltage aspects of Tube technology scares the hell out of them. I pointed them to some alternative projects with transistors but, they still wish they could follow along with the show and your project.

7. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

The 120VAC mains supply is more lethal than the B+.

How on Earth did so many new hams survive the tube era? </sarcasm>

Jeff WN1MB
    Winsted CT
    http://alienjeff.net

N1WTT likes this.
  8. K9EID/SK2024

Thanks, Jeff. thanks for following the Pine Board Project. We constantly talk about the high voltage and it is something that every builder - SS or vacuum tubes shoudl respect and know about. We are able to teach the entry levels much more about circutry with vacuum tubes.

Stay in touch, Jeff

BOB

WB0O likes this.
  9. K9EID/SK2024

How right you are, Jeff. It is something that is a big part of the Pine Board Project - teaching some respect of
    circuitry and with building on Pine Board, one can actually SEE and trace the circuit from the great drawings Gene W4IQN
    is doing. Thanks for being with us. Stay in touch.

10. K9EID/SK2024

Your power supply looks great! Keep up the good work. Just respect the high voltage and I see you have a cover on the HV terminals. Good one ! Tomorrwo night is transmitter night.... see you on the other side of the screen.

11. K9EID/SK2024

The students only "get the heck" scared of them if we fail to teach them about the HV circuits. Solve that by teaching the
    circuits and where NOT to stick your fingers ! Thanks for teaching..

12. KE0GHU

KE0GHU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

thanks Bob, this has been a great learning experience for me. I recently fixed up a old U-Test-M tester (see photo) like the one that my dad wb6hny used to work on when my grandfather owned a business in So Cal called Ettco Distribution that places, maintained and stocked these testers in the southwest. So this gives me a excuse to use the tester...also I am looking to restore some of old USSAF radio sets (see photo for the collection) so all this is helping understand how they all come together!

Attached Files:

13. JP7MBO

JP7MBO Ham Member QRZ Page

Finished the power supply and working on the preamp. Tomorrow going to get the rest of the parts. Can't wait to build the transmitter!!! Can I mod it to make it a 10m transmitter?

14. KB9EGI

KB9EGI Ham Member QRZ Page

Been working with high voltage since my very first BC-312 receiver. I was 12. Had my first high voltage mistake whilst holding on to the ground clip of the second anode probe on an RCA color set. That was exciting, and at 60 years old - something I will never forget. Remember, "Other hand in the pocket" working with any live power. Period. Teach personal responsibility again in the schools so that fear won't be the ruler. Bob, you're right! Teach where not to touch, AND WHY!

15. W9YAC

W9YAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Based on the PS schematic I saw on Ham Nation, and since this is meant as a learning experience, I have two suggestions.

Move the power switch from the neutral side of the transformer primary to the line side by the fuse. The neutral should not be switched.

Add a 3-wire power cord and ground the frame of the transformer.

The danger is that the transformer could fail with an internal short. With the neutral open at the switch, and with no equipment grounding conductor, you could become the return path.

Rich W9YAC