ad: Radclub22-1

Petition: 2 metre amateur band must be kept

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jun 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. VK4TI

VK4TI Guest

Well that's a disappointing comment , historically 2m has been so usefull in local coms and does get use , your experience is localised and imho uncommon so losing 2m would be a disaster

KF5VUD likes this.
  2. VK4TI

VK4TI Guest

Iexpect this is a fishing expedition but still does need strong opposition , considering the millions of hours and dollars invested in 2m I expect the idea to fail

3. VK4TI

VK4TI Guest

How about you email the link here to your ham friends , do a little work for greater involvement

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmm...

Its sez.... NO petition.

I am delighted to pass on my concern to the New England Director of ARRL, the organization liason for the US in the IARU.

Right?

K4DQP likes this.
  5. VK4TI

VK4TI Guest

Please do
    It is a start

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure! Although you understand that the ARRL position on 2M is not likely to be dissuaded from anything other than concrete support.

Chip W1YW

7. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

"RSGB VHF Manager John Regnault, G4SWX, in a related Moon-Net post, said the flood of “fake news” on the issue propagated via social media and online petitions does not help Amateur Radio’s position."

8. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just keep using Robot Radio FT8, DMR, Echolink etc and soon they will take all of your phone allocated spectrum away. Even HF bands will become prey.

WQ4G likes this.
  9. VK3VM

VK3VM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP ! - From Thomas Crappers's most famous device !

There is a regular SSB net commencing around 6:30 am your time every morning in Western Victoria - 144.100 that extends regular contact as far as Port Lincoln and occasionally into Tasmania. Its VERY active and has been going for years.

Rural repeaters in your state are quite active on 2m - VK5RMN as an example. Metro Analogue repeaters in VK2, 3 and 4 hum most of the daylight hours and well into the night !

DMR in VK (DMR-MARC) hums....

Our main repeater here - VK3RWZ (2m) - The "Ron VK3VBI Repeater" sings almost 24/7 into Western VK3 and Eastern VK5 ! 10W I believe????

Sounds like yet another example of ignorance of us that live in rural areas !

I am no fan of IARU R3 Director Peter Young VK3MV, but in this case I must echo his comments made to the Moorabbin and District Radio Club on Tuesday, 2nd of July:

"Use it or lose it"

Steve I - VK3VM / VK3SIR - Western Victoria

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  10. KF5VUD

KF5VUD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The fact that some people are spreading fake news doesn't mean everyone should be prevented from sharing their thoughts on this -- especially the people who *do* take the time to become informed and base their arguments upon factual information.

When you become faced with the prospect of amateur bands being taken away, you're put in a position of having to weigh consequences. What would be worse for "Amateur Radio's position" -- losing the bands? Or an excess of perhaps-misinformed enthusiasm? I'm sure you'd agree the former is a much greater risk to the practice of amateur radio.

11. ND6Q

ND6Q Ham Member QRZ Page

In reading the ARRL article no opinion or response was indicated from ARRL. Am I mistaken in this?

12. ND6Q

ND6Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Also, I suspect that most of the individuals expressing their opinions on lack of usefulness for the 2m band don't volunteer for emergency comms and probably live in cities. From my QTH I see a ton of 2m activity due to the rural nature of the area and the very high participation rate of local hams in emergency services. The coordinators here are out of available repeater frequency pairs on both 2m and 70cm. Both allocations are heavily used for the benefit of the general public as well as ham radio pursuits. Would be a travesty to loose 2m. I am sure that there are many other towns/areas in the U.S that are the same. I also personally know of several Islands where 2m is the only communications medium available for emergency medical assistance, all run by licensed hams serving their people. VERY important allocation.

13. KB0EQV

KB0EQV Ham Member QRZ Page

Happy I live in the USA. Never surrender!

14. DD2WW

DD2WW Ham Member QRZ Page

My postcode is to be said wrong. What is the correct postcode?

15. OE3JTB

OE3JTB Ham Member QRZ Page

Same here