ad: Schulman-1

Parks on the Air ended 2021 with over 2.6m QSO's

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5QBF, Jan 10, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K5QBF

K5QBF Ham Member QRZ Page

I try to give my state along with the signal report. If you have the pota.app site up you can enter the park identifier and it will show you were it is locate.

M1WML likes this.
  2. K5QBF

K5QBF Ham Member QRZ Page

Each operator will do it a little different. I include the park number and name in the CQ. If I start getting a pile up I will do calls and signals and add the park every third or forth contact. My reasoning behind that is most are probably in the pile up trying to contact me and they already have the park number. I have had some contacts ask for the park in the exchange which is fine and dandy to me as well. I have pretty laid back activations.

M1WML likes this.
  3. KQ0J

KQ0J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"The absolute worst step you took was to "number" every park. Consequently, I have absolutely no idea where a specific park identified only by the number is located. This is garbage!! At least require that the park location be given WITH the number "

I agree, a grid or State can help with aiming the beam to get a better signal from a weak CQ.

M1WML likes this.
  4. KM1NDY

KM1NDY Ham Member QRZ Page

Huh, I am genuinely surprised that the POTA designation scheme is upsetting to some people.

AE0Q and M1WML like this.
  5. K1CWB

K1CWB Ham Member QRZ Page

I hunt POTA activators a bit and I found using the Parks on the Air website/spotting page https://pota.app/#/ ) easy to use. It's just a web site, nothing to download and you don't have to sign up to use it but I did sign up to help keep track of my contacts. Once you have a park number you just type it in the search box top center and it gives you information about the park, where it is, and a map. You can click on the map as well to zoom in and out and it'll also show other nearby parks when you zoom in. If you want to hunt regularly it's a useful site.

Untitled.jpg

M1WML likes this.
  6. K1CWB

K1CWB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm already out on this challenge....from day one lol. Was away with family on New Year's day so I never had a chance, but at least I've made a contact everyday since. Thanks for posting the POTA update Shane.

M1WML, K5QBF and KM1NDY like this.
  7. N9UO

N9UO Ham Member QRZ Page

Well done to all the park activators and hunters too! Hoping to do some activation this year. Been mostly hunting... 73 Al N9UO

M1WML and K5QBF like this.
  8. M0TTQ

M0TTQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Conditions were very up-and-down at the weekend for Support Your Parks but the sheer volume of people who are hunting now filled the log up. It will be really interesting to see what the numbers of QSOs are when the report on it all comes through. I worked several hunters on 2 bands out of 20/17/15 and a couple on all 3 yesterday. The sun was shining and I was at a new park with a beer and a pork pie, what more could a man ask for from life?

M1WML, WD0BCT and K5QBF like this.
  9. KC1HNG

KC1HNG Ham Member QRZ Page

I like POTA because I can get many contacts in an hour (like 40 to 50). If I call CQ from home, I don't get nearly the same response. The noise floor is much lower in the park as well, which makes up for missing the power amplifier.

WD0BCT and K5QBF like this.
  10. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

11. W3AAX

W3AAX Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks so much for the extremely kind words Mindy. The staff of 100+ thanks you for trying our free program out. :) 73 W3AAX