Packet loss getting to qrz.com

Discussion in 'QRZ XML Logbook Data' started by KA1JY, Feb 13, 2019.

?

Are you seeing significant packet loss getting your xml lookups?

Poll closed Mar 5, 2019.
  1. Yes, my packet loss is high

    60.0%
  2. No, I don't see a lot of packet loss

    40.0%
  3. Maybe, I see some loss but under 20%

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA1JY

    KA1JY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

    Right so "checking" the hosts file doesn't do anything. Here is the idea: In the hosts file add an entry for qrz. As I said you likely can't edit the hosts file where it is. Copy it, add the following, save it then copy your modified file back to the original location. Win7 and win10 are rude about folder permissions and the copy back will generate a warning but it will still copy. Verify your copy is the file in the original location when you are done.

    BTW - site cannot be reached is NOT the same as a site cannot be found error message. "Cannot be reached" sounds more like a routing issue than a DNS issue.

    # Modified hosts file
    # Add qrz IP address here if they change later you will have to fix this
    23.23.229.197 qrz.com
    107.21.98.143 xlmdata.qrz.com
    # This should eliminate any sort of DNS issue on your end.
     
  2. KA1JY

    KA1JY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

    Good call. You are correct. The sites won't answer the echo request. That means 100% ping loss should be universal. (funny some folks answered the survey question that they aren't seeing any ping losses. : )
     
  3. VK3HJ

    VK3HJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    Ok, thanks Don and Brian for the assistance.

    I first read Don's suggestion to use the "flushdns" command. This I did, after checking first that the XML Account Check page was still not working. Still nothing, but the Windows Troubleshooter did tell me that the connection to the Internet was broken at the modem. So, I did a power reset on the satellite modem and wireless router. After this all came back up, I was then able to open and use the XML Account Check page.
    I used the "flushdns" from the other PC, not the one I use for my station.
    The station PC was fired up, HRD loaded, and XML was working again! After doing a number of lookups in HRD Logbook, I opened my QRZ Account Profile to check the XML Lookups counter was incrementing. It was, so I am satisfied that the XML lookup function was working again.
    Lookup data still takes around ten seconds to appear, but that is how it was before it stopped working.

    Now, which operation restored function, the DNS Flush, or the reset of the modem and router?
     
  4. VK3HJ

    VK3HJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    Brian,
    Thanks for the DNS routing info for the local Hosts file.
    I'll know where to look for that now if I see DNS issues in future.
     
  5. KA1JY

    KA1JY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

    Great. I hope that solves your issue.
    FYI - The XML look-ups tonight are VERY snappy! Man I hope it stays like it is tonight. Perfect!
     
  6. KA1JY

    KA1JY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

    As far as I can tell this is fixed. The look-ups for the past day or so have been snappy. Very quick. Exactly as I would expect over my fiber 300M in both directions internet service. I'm not sure what the problem was but it appears to be working now. For how long I can't guess but as of today it is great.
     

Share This Page