PACIFIC DXPEDITIONER (KC0W) IMPERILED BY THEFT

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by W1YW, Sep 28, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. WO4L

WO4L XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would gladly donate $$ to help this great ham out..what a shame to have all your gear and personal items taken ..I know how distraught i would be.. so if some get this started perhaps the $$ could be sent to one of our fine Radio suppliers to hold until its all ready to be sent ,mailed,shipped to him for his use.. perhaps using RaspPI for a very small computer to log and communicate via emails etc// anyway maybe some one can pick this up and run with it.. WO4L Bob Hess

K4SAW likes this.
  2. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Did he have any kind of insurance on that radio stuff?

3. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I find it HARD TO BELIEVE that there's 50,000 people living on TARAWA, as their MAIN ISLAND is "BEITIO" and you can walk across that island in a matter of MINUTES!!!

PS, If there's a site being created for financial RELIEF for the intrepid Mariner/Ham LET US ALL KNOW PLEASE!!! If any of you guys remember "VP2WW" (Bobby Weil) back in the 60's he was always losing his boats thru bad weather in the "Caribbean", but even in that case HAMS CAME THRU HELPING "HIM" OUT!!!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  4. WC5P

WC5P Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, 50,000 as of 2010 Census, mostly on South Tarawa, which is only about 20 miles long or so, depending on how you measure it. Seriously overcrowded and heavily polluted. They have been trying for years to move population to Eastern Kiribati, but some of those islands like Fanning and Christmas do not have enough fresh water to support much of a population increase.

5. K7JOE

K7JOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Should be an interesting if very unfortunate "rest of the story"...

Tom does not strike me as a rookie traveler so he was likely well aware of the risk. Most people who travel globally know to prepare with somel backup plans, means of accessing funds, and other preparations because things happen. . He is not the first traveler to have things stolen and won't be the last -- That's all part of the experience.

Main thing is that he is safe and unharmed. Gear can be replaced. Passports reissued plane tickets purchased and plans reset.

6. WC5P

WC5P Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Passport might actually be an interesting problem as there is no US Consulate office in Kiribati. Closest one is on Majuro.

7. MM0NDX

MM0NDX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Refunds coming.. [​IMG]

NEWS UPDATE III – With Tom KC0W updating his QRZ page, DX-World.net has now taken down the link to help support him. No more donations are required.

At this moment in time we wait on Tom’s reply to an earlier email today, but it looks like all generous donations may not be wanted.

We are happy to refund ALL who donated. Like you, we felt it may be beneficial to Tom. In the end perhaps not. Please QRX, refunds coming..

http://dx-world.net/helping-kc0w/
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    WA7PRC likes this.
  8. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Information on donating money to assist Tom in any way necessary was on the DX World web site, courtesy of MMØNDX. As you can see from the above post, this has been put "on hold" pending more information from Tom and what, if anything, he needs.

The good news, though, is that his fellow hams are ready and willing to lend him a hand, should he need it.

N1EN likes this.
  9. KC9RNK

KC9RNK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Count me in.

10. KE8BPZ

KE8BPZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have worked Tom state side, Hope the culprits are caught, and better luck to Tom in the future.