ad: CQMM-1

OREGON RADIO AMATEUR DIES IN TOWER MISHAP

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, May 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No; the thread was started to report a NEWS item. That entails the obvious condolences on the death, PLUS the newsworthy and salient issue of tower height and safety.

2. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

What a tragic accident. Best wishes to family of the deceased. There is one consoling thought -- he died doing what he so enjoyed in life.

73 my friend.

3. K0RFD

K0RFD Ham Member QRZ Page

Would someone please explain to N1IR that someone's unfortunate death is not simply another excuse for N1IR to read himself in print?

Give it a rest Chip. The world doesn't revolve around you.

God rest the soul of W7IX. I should be so lucky as to die doing something I enjoy doing.

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Would someone kindly explain to K0RFD that I have brought up the issue of high risk, extreme height amateur radio support structures as a pertinent ISSUE to the service; that we have to separate ourselves from the myth of the NEED for extreme structure as an objective of 'ham excellence' and that we should all be aware of issues of safety and regulation regarding said structures--as introduced, in part, by the parent post, copied from the 'ARRL Newsletter'.

Would someone ALSO explain to K0RFD that several fellow amateurs have stepped forward upon said introduction to convey such appropriate wishes of caution based upon their own experience.

Be safe. Don't go to extreme heights.

I find your characterization not only false but highly offensive OM.

5. K6FAF

K6FAF Guest

GE, Hams.

[​IMG]?[​IMG]?[​IMG]

Enough said.  
    [​IMG]  [​IMG]

6. KE4AWM

KE4AWM Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] I SURE HOPE I DON'T OUTLIVE MY SONS.
    WHAT  A FEELING THAT MUST BE  FOR EVERYONE IN THE FAMILY. I AM SO SORRY TO HEAR THINGS LIKE THIS .MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYS ARE WITH YOU ALL.

7. K6FAF

K6FAF Guest

...and to my critic n1ir:
    Thanks for the critic, I can take it. Can you? Obviously not. Bad taste, who has that?
    Start a new topic and see the result.
    Bad taste to do it here, IMHO.

Okay, what is it to be, slash me another one? I am not waiting for it as you normally seem to be understanding.

For discussions on height of towers, see you in YOUR topic.

Thank you, I just had to say that!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Hans

8. W2GGI

W2GGI Ham Member QRZ Page

sorry to hear of this tragic incident.My prayers go out to the family

god bless

9. VE7MZA

VE7MZA Ham Member QRZ Page

Our deepest sympathy....
    from Radiopinoy Club of BC

10. VK3GB

VK3GB Ham Member QRZ Page

To Rons family.

HIS JOURNEY’S JUST BEGUN

Don’t think of Ron as gone away
    His journey’s just begun:
    Life holds so many facets
    This earth is only one.

Just think of Ron as resting
    From the sorrows and the tears
    In a place of warmth and comfort
    Where there are no days and years.

Think how Ron must be wishing
    That we could know, today,
    How nothing but our sadness
    Can really pass away.

And think of Ron as living
    In the hearts of those he touched
    For nothing loved is ever lost
    And he was loved so much.

11. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Out of respect for Ron.  Wow.  Now you, a frustrated exit-early piece from physical science fundamentals want to argue the proper terms with me.  You used to claim your were an electrical engineering professor, and now you've added mechanical as well.  What's your next claim: civil, industrial, chemical or agricultural?

While the units are the same, torque is used primarily in describing tool applications or limits on individual pieces of hardware such as nuts and bolts and in engine performance data.  And, yes, in basic physics texts.

In structures, the term moment is used to describe the force-distance term as applied to points within them.  The comment was made to point out your unusual use of it with respect to structures.  Admittedly, I've only had one course in structural mechanics and I'm not a Structural Engineer.

Moment of intertia isn't involved, eh, former physics teacher?  Nothing in motion?  Well, then just what was involved, then, when the upper section guy was broken and the tower began swaying back and forth until a structural failure occurred, based on published accounts?  Only a static situation and nothing dynamic?

In an earlier comment citing your "antenna expertise" you condemned the need and justification for HF antennas at the stated height of the now-collapsed structure.  That was and is, IMO, a crass attempt to phish for anyone in cyber space who might want to claim that what Ron built was not justified, not proper or was foolish, affecting liability for the accident, etc.  That sort of talk doesn't belong here, troll.

Take a break and go WiFi-surfing at Starbucks

Lee
    W6EM

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Utter ham goofiness....full of silliness and falsehoods. BUT...the above quote is the most amusing and stupid one I have yet seen from a ham. It really distinguishes the utter irony of reality versus an 'amateur'ish perspective.

Can I use it in my public talks?

Pleeeeeease:)?

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. Sure did!

Someone obviously has to keep the perspective honest. A 170 foot tower is not NEEDED in amateur radio communications at HF.

Quote Dr. Nathan Cohen if you wish. You know, the one who said: "it's only a switch"'.

Chip N1IR

14. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Lee,

Once inertia became involved, it was too late.  Also, torque is a measure of a force twisting around a center point.  I can see where the finer points of force measurement can become clouded.  It sounds like Chip has done his homework. Semantics, however, seem to be more of a personal attack than a response to the essence of the article.

Others,

This incident is indeed tragic.  Could there be anything positive to come of it?

My condolences to the family, but I really don't think they are reading this.  That is unless they are hams, and even then there is some doubt.

I don't think the article was meant to be an obituary.  Obituaries seldom are open for comment.  

What could be gained by the falling of our comrade?  

I think Chip hit the nail on the head.  Amateur radio is a hobby and taunting death is not required to enjoy it.  Sure, there are those that argue that freedom of choice prevails and consequently defend the practice of climbing tall towers.  My thoughts are indeed with the family and friends.  I doubt they just shrugged and rejoiced in the fact he was doing what he wanted to do.  They have paid far too great a price for someone they love to snag more DX than fellow down the way.

I have always had my reservations about tower climbing.  This story was what it took to firmly solidify my refusal to either do it or request someone to do it.  Maybe there is something to be gained here.  Maybe one person will stay on the ground and avoid an accident like this.  Or more, hopefully.

Manlifts are available.  Genie makes one with a 105' reach.  Towers can be built on the ground and set up with cranes.  Using one or both can put up a monster of a tower.  

There are enough people that have to climb towers in order to earn a living.  They are better equipped, in safer environments they still perish on occasion.  This hobby is great, but not so important that any addition to lethal risk taking is needed.  

Sure, 'he was doing what he wanted to do', but was he doing what his family and friends, now left behind to pick up the pieces, felt was worth this kind of loss?

Such a sad story.   A tragic loss but not a total loss if we learn from it.

Godspeed W7IX

I wish you were here to comment.

Mark K8MHZ

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nicely said.

We all have deep regrets on the death of W7IX.

There is a lot of play going from heights of 0 to 120 feet. But 170 feet and higher is not needed and high risk.

You can--and should --acheive 'ham excellence' without the need of going to extreme heights with antenna support structures.

Chip N1IR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.