ad: M2Ant-1

Orbiting Space Suit Transmitting on 2 meters!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N2KZ, Jan 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KB1HTW

KB1HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought someone would have done a better job explaining the rationale for dumping a used space suit, so here it is:

Remember that the service "truck" for the ISS, the space shuttle, isn't flying at this time. Remember that little accident a couple of years ago? And the Russion Progress spacecraft isn't exactly as roomy as the shuttle when it comes to transferring equipment to and from the ISS.

It makes more sense economically, better for mission safety and for efficiency, that large disposable items don't take up valuable cargo space on the Progress that could otherwise be used for returning experiments and such to Earth. It's better to eject them from the ISS into a decaying orbit so that it burns up in the atmosphere a few days or weeks later.

Plus it gives NORAD/Northern Command another target to track to hone their skills at detecting a small space-based weapon that virtually no one has the economic resources to deploy ;-)

If you're so pissed at NASA for wasting resources, why don't you get off your collective butts and write - no, VISIT - your congressman and convince him/her that you yourself have the answer? Otherwise, let the rest of us celebrate this all too infrequent boost to the visibility of our hobby.

Jon - KB1HTW

2. KD0JBN

KD0JBN Ham Member QRZ Page

Just saw it on CNN.COM.

Don - KDØJBN

3. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

4. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

5. WV8VFD

WV8VFD Ham Member QRZ Page

WOW!

At my school on Monday I am bringing my radio equipment and we are going to listen!

I am very excited to hear this, and 1hr 3 mins to release![​IMG]

6. KC2ESD

KC2ESD Ham Member QRZ Page

T- 20 Minutes and counting. Pushing Major Tom out the Hatch (Suitsat) KC2ESD Listening 145.990Mhz at 04:00 Feb 4th.
    BTW The First Friday Simplex Net is tonight Friday 3rd at 19:30Hrs EST. If you are near the Atlantic City Area check in.
    The Frequency is 146.580Mhz.
    Rick KC2ESD Net Control.

7. WB9AZA

WB9AZA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great Idea for the kids in school. To bad KC0usq cant spell and what a heck of a vhf shack. I wonder who should be in school ..:laugh:

8. KC0UTE

KC0UTE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Thats pretty cool...I cant get the link to open tho..I'd love to know when or if it will pass over My location...Thanks for the info!

KCØUTE

9. N0CTO

N0CTO Guest

No, I would suggest you take off the "Service Cap" Why? Because it a HOBBY! Do you get paid for it? No? That makes it a hobby.

I helped run a Navy MARS station for three years. That was a military duty. The amateur radio part our our "club" was just that. Our ARES service was a vital part during and after Hurricane Ivan in Pensacola but guess what? We didn't get paid. We volunteered. No pay. We did it because we wanted to.

ARES and others that volunteer during are wonderful people but don't make it out to be more than it is. Call it what you want but a hobby is a hobby is a hobby no matter how serious you take it.

10. W0LPQ

W0LPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

CTO the FCC calls it the Amateur Radio Service...!

Bill, W0LPQ

11. K9RNC

K9RNC Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like to me some of you wern't breast feed as a baby.

12. KF6MYV

KF6MYV Ham Member QRZ Page

So when will we hear it. Dont get that Jpass thing. Got to many kids tugn on me to figure out right now [​IMG]

13. N7YA

N7YA Ham Member QRZ Page

Heh heh, thats great...kids are hilarious. but it IS a valid question.

And yes, i WILL keep smiling...its good for the health. :)

I will be listening...i hope i can stay awake long enough.

73...N7YA

14. KC2ESD

KC2ESD Ham Member QRZ Page

Suitsat is a Dead Stick i'm sorry to say. Better luck next time.
    I just wish NASA and the Russian Space Agency will remember next time "Failure is not an Option"
    Rick KC2ESD
    BTW I would probily have better luck Launching a VX-2R in a Large model Rocket with a "G" class engine.

15. WA8TJC

WA8TJC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What a big joke..In less then 5 hours in orbit it died!..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.