ad: AbAuRe-1

Opinion: The ARRL By-laws Need Changin’

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jan 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. AF5WO

AF5WO Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't worry, since you posted here I'm sure the Executive Committee will kick you out of the ARRL. I am not happy with the current leadership and am debating if I should continue paying my membership dues. Thanks Fred

Tom - AF5WO

NK2U and W3JY/SK2022 like this.
  2. W5EW

W5EW Ham Member QRZ Page

Good job Fred. You're right on with many others, i.e. https://www.myarrlvoice.org/other-voices/ and if they do kick you out, you will not have lost anything. If I wasn't a life member I would not join and if just some of this is approved, I will cancel. I just do not see why I should be a member of a so called membership organization that ignores the membership. Transparency does not wear sunglasses!

Ray W5EW

NK2U and W6OGC like this.
  3. K7QI

K7QI Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred! Thank you for a well thought proposals. What a breath of fresh air. I've been a member of the League since 1975, and became a life member in 1980. I've held several positions throughout the decades, and have always, and continue to support the League, and I fully support your comments. Thank you!

--73--
    Jim
    K7QI and Z81A

4. K0MD

K0MD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Fred

Nice suggestions - I also support popular elections of the ARRL officers by the membership using web based voting as you indicate. I believe the officer positions should be open to any member, not just Directors and Vice-Directors. We need not limit the options for the ARRL membership in that manner.

NK2U and KK5JY like this.
  5. KG5THG

KG5THG Ham Member QRZ Page

Sadly, corruption takes hold in any large organization. Just like our government, we can never bring ourselves to vote it out.

N2SUB, KE8EC, WZ7U and 3 others like this.
  6. K4AC

K4AC Ham Member QRZ Page

The officer positions are open to any member, not just sitting members of the Board. One of the previous presidents had been on the Board, left it, and was elected president. It doesn't happen very often, but it can. Realistically, it is almost impossible for someone outside the Board and who has never been on it to win. No Director is going to vote for someone they don't personally know.

7. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Isn't there too much division already? ;)

8. KB6NU

KB6NU Ham Member QRZ Page

I ran for Vice Director of the Great Lakes Division 10-12 years ago. In preparation for running, I asked if I could travel to Newington (on my own dime) and sit in on a board meeting. Silly me! I was told in no uncertain terms that the rabble (i.e. ARRL members) were not allowed. I was astounded by this.

Board meetings should be open to all members, and I like the idea of live-streaming meetings as well. We need a C-SPAN for the ARRL!

KE8EC, NK2U, W0BTU and 2 others like this.
  9. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Fred. Please add Term limits to your list /letter - these are desperately needed for all elected or appointed ARRL leadership positions. Further all inside and outside counsel needs to be re-bid just like other vendors at least once every 5 years.

This direction that K1ZZ headed us in, by leading the ARRL for 30 years while aging in place has finally got to stop.

The new crew in Newington seem far worse - unbelievably sly and deceptive. Watch out.

Nor: What do you suspect their long term motivation is ?

Prediction - What will happen next: a decade of lawsuits and legal expenses and infighting, the expenses will destroy what little the league does.

WZ7U, NK2U, W0BTU and 3 others like this.
  10. W1LWT

W1LWT Ham Member QRZ Page

OK after alot of reading on the subjects and what i never agreed on and many members complaints .Im done.when my subscription run out in june thats it .!!! I wont renew-slight chance someday if things changeing which is doudtful how they run the ways to the advantages and not careing about the members and there views....im going to put my money from now on in a magazine i love CQ is it .No more politics crap at my age in life im done with it.....with big companys like this that wants to weight on there side and forget who is there members...so SO LONG ARRL in 2018....

NK2U likes this.
  11. KB5SXC

KB5SXC Ham Member QRZ Page

There is one other concept that I would like to add:

The ARRL should adopt a mindset that Amateur Radio Operators have: Aboriginal Title to the Frequency Spectrum. Any Frequency that is unassigned or not regularly used, automatically reverts to Amateur Use.

KB5SXC/qrp
    Leo

NK2U likes this.
  12. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

A timely and appropriate quote from one of our forefathers:

“When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty” - Thomas Jefferson

WZ7U, KA2LIM, AD0MI and 3 others like this.
  13. K2WPM

K2WPM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hudson Division.

14. K8EA

K8EA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Fred and all,
    Thanks for keeping this out there for the ham world to see. The ARRL has gone off the rails. I was once very proud to say I am a life member--got my life membership in 1977. Now I think the ARRL has become something akin to a corporate power and usurping instead of promoting the rights of its rank and file members. Let's keep this as visible as possible. Share with all your ham friends.

Ed/K8EA

NK2U likes this.
  15. W6SDM

W6SDM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very nicely stated and very well thought out. Many individuals and clubs have stepped forward in opposition to the ARRL proposals. Hopefully, the Board of Directors will come to their senses.

Steve, W6SDM

K7VZ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.