Opinion: The ARRL By-laws Need Changin’

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jan 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As a NEW member of the ARRL, and having read everything I can get my hands on about this situation, I too agree with all of Fred's proposals.

N2SUB and KG5THG like this.
  2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

It's hard to go wrong with openness and transparency. I like the idea of open meetings and open records. It seems like a swift and agreeable way to be done with all the recent controversy at and around the League.

N2SUB, KK5R, K5IGI and 4 others like this.
  3. K4AC

K4AC Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a good editorial, but I strongly disagree about the Executive Committee. The manner of election of the members of the EC does not need to be changed, the committee needs to be eliminated entirely as it has outlived any possible need for it. The EC was needed in the pre-Internet age as communications means were slow (mail/courier) and a telephonic meeting does not allow for everyone to be looking at the same document at the same time such as can be done with a document markup in GoToMeeting.

The EC is an egofest for those on it and has FAR too much power to act between Board Meetings.

KE8EC, WZ7U, KK5R and 6 others like this.
  4. WA0VY

WA0VY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm still trying to figure out what all the hub-bub is but I don't see how anyone could disagree with what Fred is proposing. I would also agree that an EC doesn't have much use if the the bulk of Fred's proposals are adopted. And, finally, I absolutely hate the idea of permanent board positions for staff. If a staff member is on the board, he/she should get there the same way everyone else does: by election as a member. In a 501(c)(3) organization, board should run staff; not the other way around.

Oh, and one more thing: what is the deal with with the determination (by who I don't know) that some members are not eligible (or qualified) to run?!? Could someone who knows 'splain that to me because I DON"T GET IT!

KE8EC, KK5R and W3JY like this.
  5. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A well reasoned opinion and suggestions. Thank you, Fred.

Only one point I would change. There are some documents and meetings that should be private, at least for a period of time, besides those involving personnel matters. These would include things like contract negotiations and attorney-client communications.

6. AF5WO

AF5WO Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't worry, since you posted here I'm sure the Executive Committee will kick you out of the ARRL. I am not happy with the current leadership and am debating if I should continue paying my membership dues. Thanks Fred

Tom - AF5WO

NK2U and W3JY like this.
  7. W5EW

W5EW Ham Member QRZ Page

Good job Fred. You're right on with many others, i.e. https://www.myarrlvoice.org/other-voices/ and if they do kick you out, you will not have lost anything. If I wasn't a life member I would not join and if just some of this is approved, I will cancel. I just do not see why I should be a member of a so called membership organization that ignores the membership. Transparency does not wear sunglasses!

Ray W5EW

NK2U and W6OGC like this.
  8. K7QI

K7QI Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred! Thank you for a well thought proposals. What a breath of fresh air. I've been a member of the League since 1975, and became a life member in 1980. I've held several positions throughout the decades, and have always, and continue to support the League, and I fully support your comments. Thank you!

--73--
    Jim
    K7QI and Z81A

9. K0MD

K0MD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Fred

Nice suggestions - I also support popular elections of the ARRL officers by the membership using web based voting as you indicate. I believe the officer positions should be open to any member, not just Directors and Vice-Directors. We need not limit the options for the ARRL membership in that manner.

NK2U and KK5JY like this.
  10. KG5THG

KG5THG Ham Member QRZ Page

Sadly, corruption takes hold in any large organization. Just like our government, we can never bring ourselves to vote it out.

N2SUB, KE8EC, WZ7U and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.