ad: TinyPaddle-1

On the Internet and Ham Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Jun 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

KE4MOB writes "We have all seen the same old question, "Will the internet ever replace ham radio?" posted over and over and over. I, for one, definitely think not. After posting quite a few replies to several articles both here and on another site, I have come to the following conclusions:

A> The internet will burn you out. Take it from someone who has been there: You can only jump up and down on the soapbox so many times! Whether it is the ARRL, testing, or operating procedures, you can only add so much to a discussion. I remember it well: one night I spent hours crafting this finely worded dissertation on the evils of the ARRL--even quoted Hiram Percy Maxim himself...and then looked over at my silent HF rig and thought, "I could have been on the radio instead." It was like an awakening...that what happened on the internet happened on the internet, but the same guys and gals were on the same frequencies talking about largely the same things--and I was missing out! Even though we may be "gloom and doom" on the internet, by and large, things are clicking right along on the air. Ham radio is evolving, like most things in our lives, and we are yet to see what will come of it. Operators will come, and operators will go, but the bands stay alive with QSOs over the years.

B> The internet is great for information dissemination. A few centralized portals control what hams read and hear about the hobby. And largely what is on one is on the others. What differs is that people are largely more emotional and more radical (myself included) when on the internet. Why? I haven't a clue.

C> Don't take it personally. So what if you've got strange views and get "flamed" everytime you post something to a site? Just walk away, and operate some radio. Trust me, the internet will still be here tomorrow. And if you're having a bad day of it, remember this: you can always turn on the radio and find somebody new to chat with--someone who doesn't care about your views, someone who doesn't care about your weaknesses. So sit back, relax, turn the radios on and enjoy the hobby!

D> Learn restraint, and learn how to say "I was wrong" Invariably, there will come a time when a person will realize they are spending more time on the internet than on the radio. I am already at that point. At that point, it is time to leave. Remember, there are others out there with the same beliefs as you who are just as vocal and active. Let them have their turn at the operators seat a while. It is far better to walk away from the internet than it is to walk away from ham radio. Quite frankly, I would much rather operate HF than sit and look at endless web pages of who said what to whom on whatever subject. And if you do choose to participate in this wonderful media, be prepared to eat your share of crow! Learning to admit your mistakes makes you a better person, both on the air and off....

73's to all,

Steve"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.