ad: M2Ant-1

No Radial Vertical and 20 Watts, Will it Work or is it a Dummy Load?

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by K4OGO, Jan 16, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K4OGO

K4OGO Ham Member QRZ Page

2. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Given that the vertical is on a metal roof, and mounted to a long pole, (fire escape), I am not surprised it performs well... It has a fairly decent ground plane under it, which acts like radials.

KS0USA, K4OGO, K7JEM and 1 other person like this.
  3. K4OGO

K4OGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes indeed, I’m very lucky to have that metal roof. As I state in the video “it works for me”.

4. KS0USA

KS0USA Ham Member QRZ Page

The G90 will surprise you. I've been running the G90 for near four years with a home brew vertical (cut for 30 meters) and a Hustler 5BTV, both of which are ground mounted on chain link fence posts. I have worked NZ and Switzerland in Olivia mode at 20 watts and have worked JA stations and EU at 5 watts qrp in FT8/FT4 mode. The chain-link fencing is my counterpoise for both antennas. I am cognizant that working digital signals is a little different than phone, however I was working phone long before i got interested in the digital and results were similar with a Yaesu FT-450 in line.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2023
  5. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You need to define "work" - just about any metal object will radiate some fraction of the power applied to it on any frequency, but that fraction can become very small at the frequency shifts from resonance. The surprising thing is just how far a signal can get at very low radiated power levels- modern receivers are amazingly sensitive!

Martin G8FXC

6. KS0USA

KS0USA Ham Member QRZ Page

NO, what I should have done was kept my mouth shut and complimented K4OGO on his video presentation of the Sigma Euro-Comm (SE-HF-X80) antenna and left it at that, instead of bragging about my three and one half year old G90.

Don / KS0USA