ad: elecraft

NEWS: N2DUP pledges to appoint youth as ASM

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by N2DUP, May 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N2DUP

N2DUP Ham Member QRZ Page

VOTE FOR A LEADER
    Chuck Gysi, N2DUP
    for ARRL section manager in Minnesota

NEWS RELEASE

For immediate release
    May 15, 2004

NOTE TO EDITORS: A digital mug shot of Chuck Gysi, N2DUP, is available via e-mail request. Please specify the file format you prefer.

N2DUP pledges to appoint youth as assistant section manager

Chuck Gysi, N2DUP, a candidate for Minnesota section manager in this summer's American Radio Relay League election, has pledged to appoint a youth as assistant section manager.

"There is no question in my mind that the future of amateur radio is youth, and if we don't value their input as to what is important in attracting them to the hobby, then we're not doing our job," Gysi said.

"It's too easy to try to think that we know what is best for youth and how to attract them to a world-class hobby," Gysi said. "However, as the father of two teen-agers, I know that we need to consult youth and value their input on the best methods to attract their interest."

Several younger hams have taken leadership roles in southeastern Minnesota, yet they are teen-agers. There are plenty of opportunities to ensure younger hams play an important role in the growth of the amateur radio hobby.
    "The teen ASM I appoint will have a valuable role in my section manager's cabinet," Gysi said. "My section leadership will look to our teen ASM's input to gain more youth operators in Minnesota."

The teen ASM also will work with other young hams around the state to keep their interest in the hobby and identify new ways to put their skills to the best use of the ARRL, Gysi added.

"I want youth involved with Field Day activities, in contesting, at public service events, and more," Gysi said. "How better can we advance the participation in our hobby than to get younger operators involved and gain a taste of the various facets of amateur operation?"

Gysi is a long-time ARRL volunteer himself and has been an active amateur radio operator for a solid 22 years. He chose to run for the section manager's position because of his leadership experience.

The section manager oversees the more than 2,500 ARRL members in Minnesota and appoints hams to serve in capacities ranging from official observers to public information officers.

ARRL members will receive ballots from league headquarters in Newington, Conn., about July 1.

Gysi currently serves as an ARRL public information officer and also has served as emergency coordinator, district emergency coordinator and official emergency station. He is a member of the Rochester Amateur Radio Club and the Minnesota Wireless Association.

Gysi is available to make presentations at club meetings or other gatherings of hams anywhere in Minnesota. Call him toll-free at (888) 463-5355 or send an e-mail to N2DUP@RadioHams.net. In addition, he has set up an extensive web site about his candidacy at www.RadioHams.net.

- 30 -

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.