ad: cq2k-1

New Yorker Article on Network Time Protocol (NTP) Developer David Mills, W3HCF

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by K3FU, Oct 6, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K3FU

K3FU Ham Member QRZ Page

The Thorny Problem of Keeping the Internet's Time

An obscure software system synchronizes the network's clocks. Who will keep it running?

https://www.newyorker.com/tech/annals-of-technology/the-thorny-problem-of-keeping-the-internets-time

"In 1977, David Mills, an eccentric engineer and computer scientist, took a job at COMSAT, a satellite corporation headquartered in Washington, D.C. Mills was an inveterate tinkerer: he'd once built a hearing aid for a girlfriend's uncle, and had consulted for Ford on how paper-tape computers might be put into cars. Now, at COMSAT, Mills became involved in the ARPANET, the computer network that would become the precursor to the Internet. A handful of researchers were already using the network to connect their distant computers and trade information. But the fidelity of that exchanged data was threatened by a distinct deficiency: the machines did not share a single, reliable synchronized time."

W0PV, KC3PMJ, KV6O and 2 others like this.
  2. N3RYB

N3RYB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One of the many unsung heroes of the "Internet Age" who also happened to be Amateur Radio Operators. It's hard not to stumble across them if you really go looking :)

K3FU likes this.
  3. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

N3RYB likes this.
  4. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Something to remember, NTP works well across any connection, slow, fast, symmetrical or not. So yeah, Ethernet, wifi, cable, dsl, ... Dial up.

Well done.

K3FU likes this.
  5. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

K3FU likes this.
  6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Great interview. Thank you for the linkage. I had read the Atlantic article, so this was a natural follow up for me. Though only halfway through the interview, the quote that really grabbed my attention - so much so to transcribe it for posting here - was this:

"If you don't have people around who have that level of knowledge of history, you end up on some goose chases that are incredibly wild.

So yes, having Dave Mills still around and the ability for me to call him and chat with him is a truly wonderful and glorious thing."

- Harlan Stenn on Dave Mills

Now back to the interview.

W0PV likes this.