New GeoChron 4K and Firmware Preview

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KG5AHJ, Sep 3, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. WT4VV

WT4VV Ham Member QRZ Page

The only cost is if the user wants to buy premium layers. So far, there are only two: Earthquake ($19.99/year), and the Ham Radio Bundle ($6.99/month or $69.99/year).

2. NQ0S

NQ0S Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

While I have always thought these were tremendously cool, I just don't think the cost is reasonable in my budget. I recently spun up the free HamClock (http://clearskyinstitute.com/ham/HamClock/) software using an old raspberry pi and fairly recent high res monitor. Gets me many of the features and it cost me almost nothing. IMG_0833.jpeg

KM5BOR, AA5BK, NR1T and 1 other person like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Very cool and the value just cannot be overlooked! I've seen others build a system very similar to yours.

But I think the "allure and the glory" of the Geochron is the stunningly detailed and beautiful global map in UHD (near 4K). It's absolutely beautiful on a 4k display... I run mine on both a 43" 4K as well as replicating it out to a 75" display (the Man Cave TV - displays Geochron when not watching something).

Most folks that buy a Geochron system are as much into the "eye candy" aspect as the function.

YOUR solution is amazing! If you're after a really cool image, and lot of data - you can't beat it for all of that.

But until you've seen the GC system on a big screen like a Samsung OLED 75" 4K you might not get the appeal they are going after.

As I said - if they would only provide a more powerful processor to handle the load better.

Dave
    W7UUU

KD5UVV and AK5B like this.
  4. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought mine before realizing that there are also no Ebola, Lyme disease, malaria, Zika or Dengue Fever layers either---perhaps those will be firmware updates once they realize that there's a lot of other stuff going around besides the China virus.

As for the weather/wind/temperature layers; some VHF/UHF tropo chasers might find them of use to predict openings, I suppose.

The main reason I finally bought one is the fact that Geochrons are just plain cool! Watching the amateur satellites and ISS move across our globe is something that will aid my re-entry into bird chasing greatly, too. ;)

Jeff

W7UUU likes this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Here's an early view of my major shack rebuild from a few months ago, showing the 43" as well as the 75" view.

The Geochron box is behind the 43" screen. There's an HDMI routing matrix (not seen in this view) that routes any HDMI signal in the shack to any monitor. The Geochron shows well on ANY screen.

Dave
    W7UUU

chron.jpg

KM5BOR, KG5AHJ, W0PV and 4 others like this.
  6. NQ0S

NQ0S Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What an awesome shack! Looks like an amazing place to spend some time on the air.

W7UUU likes this.
  7. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I notice no discernible ham hardware in the photo. You had lot's to replace since the fire. I'm suspecting you have replaced lots of hardware. Have you ever shared what your new hardware selections are?

8. W7UUU

You can see a whole series of new shack photos at my QRZ bio page. But yes, 99% was destroyed so it's all new since the fire

Dave
    W7UUU

AA5BK and WD0BCT like this.
  9. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow! I never thought to check your bio page. :rolleyes:
    Neat photos and quite a hardware description!

W7UUU likes this.
  10. K2OO

K2OO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Only the premium layers (ham radio and earthquake) have a cost. — that’s due to the need for constant information updates. The cost depends on the length of the subscription.
    Andy k2oo