ad: QuirkyQRP-1

New England QSO Party Tomfoolery

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by W1GHD, Mar 17, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W1GHD

W1GHD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For those who are not aware, New England QSO Party organizers have decided that Connecticut no longer has counties. Yes, you read that correctly. Connecticut county designators have been replaced with census ‘regional planning district” titles.

In their minds, New England consists of 59 counties and 9 regional planning districts. To quote the NEQP website: “There are now 9 instead of 8 multipliers in CT. Counties are now called planning regions, based on a US Census change in 2022. It’s a long story – some boundaries have changed. This is complicated because there was really little public announcement followed by the local media, so most state residents really still think in terms of county boundaries even though county government hasn’t existed for 64 years, except on maps!”

This is not only incorrect, it is absurd. Our FCC licenses list our county, our land records list our county, and county hunters are not collecting regional planning districts. No one in Connecticut, except for those government bureaucrats directly affected, have even heard of these planning districts.

This is a call to action! It is incumbent upon every New England ham to reach out to NEQP organizers and tell them to stop this madness. The email address is info@neqp.org. Further, I ask that you join me in refusing to use “regional planning district” titles during the contest and instead use the proper county names.

W1GHD
    Litchfield County

W2VW likes this.
  2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Fellow Litchfield County resident here. This change to "planning regions" is news to me. More government rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic, as far as I'm concerned.
    Interested parties can toggle between "Counties" and "Planning regions" on the interactive map here: https://www.ctinsider.com/projects/2023/ct-planning-regions/

As far as the NEQP goes, seems typical contester mindset silliness to dump traditional, historical counties for these planning regions. "Oh goodie! Another multiplier!"

Now off to the County Hunters' website to see if they've fallen prey to this governmental tomfoolery.

Wonder if/when I'll be seeing this on Route 8 North:

Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 11-35-18 Highway Sign Maker.png

Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
  3. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm now wondering if the other 49 states' counties all jibe with this planning region and/or Census Bureau nonsense.

W2VW likes this.