ad: Schulman-1

New End-Fed MFJ-1982lp 80-10m Overview and On-Air Test

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, Sep 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I sent my MFJ Data Radio in for a 5 minute repair. One of the inductor slugs chipped when I was converting it from 145.07 to 145.01 mHz. The inductor would no longer tune to the correct frequency due to the chipped slug. (This was my fault and not MFJ's. It was NOT a warranty repair). I sent a letter along telling the Technician how to quickly fix the problem. Take the slug out of a new inductor and use it to replace the broken slug. Trash the rest of the new part. Anyone would have to admit that this is a mindless fix. Fast forward four months... I have not received my radio. I called MFJ, spoke to the technician, he agreed it was a quick and easy fix and told me that there were other repair ahead of me. Said he would start on my radio in two weeks. Fast forward one month, still no radio so I called MFJ and spoke to the supervisro. He told me I would get my radio in two weeks. fast forward one more month. Still had not received my radio. I waited one more month and wrote a letter to Martin F. Jue. I described the problem and the 5 minute fix. Two weeks later MFJ repair returned the Data Radio to me. There was no letter of apology, no explanation and no charge for the repair. It seems that Martin F. Jue made a phone call and took care of business. Thank you Mr. Jue. I like MFJ products. They make ham radio an inexpensive (comparatively) hobby. MFJ repair is almost useless. Martin F. Jue is an honorable and fair gentleman. Mr. Jue takes care of business. No if's and's or but's. Will I buy from MFJ again??? ABSOLUTELY. I like the products. I like the prices. I think MFJ repair will probably do a better job in the future. Martin F. Jue will make sure of that.

W4KVW, K4FMH and KK5R like this.
  2. AF4RK

AF4RK Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought an MFJ259 in 2000, still have it, still works and does a good job. End fed antennas however, violate Kirchoff's Law. They only work due to stray capacitance.But if you must buy a "compromise" antenna, buy an MFJ!
    AF4RK

3. K4FMH

K4FMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There is NO WAY that $1 in parts and a "couple more dollars in better wire" would meet your specs as stated. Have you bought wire by the foot lately? Anything in stainless steel, even in bulk? You're kidding yourself...

4. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

re: "What can I say, it works.."

Qualitative, not quantitative; Bring'r on down to the 'track' Friday night and we'll see how she does ...

5. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

hyperbole my friend

6. K4FMH

K4FMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for admitting your hyperbolic underestimation. Wish it made a difference st Lowe’s when buying THHN #14 wire. It doesn’t.

K3RW likes this.
  7. W6WR

W6WR Ham Member QRZ Page

Wabi Sabi