New DX Club attracts over 250 members during first week

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by MM0TWX, Jun 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I deal with enough computers day in and day out, no particular desire to hook one up to my radio here at N1OOQ.
    No doubt it's a popular mode, but I fail to see how forming a club is going to change that. Just don't use it.

WD4DXQ and AE7BT like this.
  2. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly.

I think it's probably a fad that will start to peter out after awhile, anyway.

But in the meantime, it gives opportunities to log DX for amateurs that otherwise would not stand much of a chance against the "true blue" Big Gun pile ups. It allows those with modest wire antennas and well under 100 watts to log DX. I think it probably has revived interest in ham radio for some, and that would be a good thing.

Yes there seems to be reduced activity of other digital modes, and maybe even CW at least on 15 meters and up. So plug in a key and call CQ. See what happens.

3. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The about section is disingenuous. Clearly this an anti-FT8, anti-digital DX group. It's purpose is pointless. If you are interested in DX, then go do it. There are plenty of DX groups and clubs who aren't opposing or promoting any particular mode.

KD2NOM likes this.
  4. W4POT

W4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't need to join a club to gain affirmation for my choice not to use a particular mode. If I did, I would already be in the NCWC "no CW club". :D I can understand why some are turned off by automation of the QSO process. I can appreciate why some like making contacts using modes that still work in poor conditions with lower power outputs.

I simply choose what I'm going to do in this hobby, and leave it to others to decide how they want to operate. I try to only give advice or opinion when asked and stop short of telling others "how to Ham".

5. AE7BT

AE7BT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ham radio land has many campfires with many tribes huddled around their tribal hearths.
    Personally, I like to get warm by the old school light of SSB/CW/RTTY in order to get away from my workday computer screens (there is no computer in my shack). That’s important to me, personally; it may not be to you and that’s ok.
    Although I’m unlikely to join yet another group I’m sympatico with the idea of this club because it seems like a place for likeminded hams to congregate (hopefully without dissing the *other* guys). If FT8 is your thing that’s great too: I see it’s advantages. I also see how it might come to displace other modes. But, it’s a big tent hobby and the circus never ends.
    Send in the clowns!

AG5DB and W0MSN like this.
  6. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

Like RTTY and PSK31. :)

KD2NOM likes this.
  7. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Like CW and SSB too

8. VK2WP

VK2WP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good luck to this group, I did not sign up as already a member of the FISTS club which satisfies my on air needs. The more people whom promote real hands on conversations instead of auto computer contacts the better.

See you sometime on air at the key, my preferred mode.

AE7BT likes this.
  9. AE7BT

AE7BT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Straight key has become my fave too.
    I just remember what 200 Meters and Down said about what happened when the “more efficient” Continuous Wave came in: the spark gap guys were up in arms at how CW was “ruining” ham radio.
    Real men use homebrew spark gap rigs! CW was for those lacking real skill and commitment. And so it goes... :)

10. KZ3I

KZ3I XML Subscriber QRZ Page

pleased to sign up...stated objectives align with mine...no signed pledge to turn in my computer was required. I wish this new club all the best in achieving it's goal of promoting CW and phone DX operating.
    Bill, KZ3I
    TBDXC member #77