ad: elecraft

NEW BPL (broadband over power lines) Coming

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1YW, Jan 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AF7TS

AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KD8IGK

KD8IGK Ham Member QRZ Page

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, I'll bite: what is the mechanism by which this millimetric non-point source RF induces cancer.

Be explicit.

4. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No kidding! For another point of comparison, consider that the basic metabolism of a resting human is on the order of a hundred watts.

To do the math, 2500 Calories/day times 4186.8 Joules/Calorie divided by 86,400 sec/day gives 121 Joules/s, which is the same as 121 Watts. So if you eat 2500 Calories per day, and you neither gain nor lose weight, you must be expending something around 120 Watts, averaged over the entire day.

Add an extra 300 Watts on top of that, and that will be a significant amount of heat energy that the body has to get rid of. At best, you'll start sweating a lot to get rid of the extra heat. It certainly seems plausible that there could be other metabolic effects of this much heat.

N0TZU likes this.
  5. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Simple Solution:

Throw away your phone, don't use your microwave oven, don't turn on your ARS transceiver or Amp, disconnect your outside cable connections, turn off your WiFi Router, don't turn on your television set, etc., if you believe this trash.

"Add an extra 300 Watts on top of that, and that will be a significant amount of heat energy that the body has to get rid of. At best, you'll start sweating a lot to get rid of the extra heat. It certainly seems plausible that there could be other metabolic effects of this much heat..."

How are you guys calculating this 50 to 300 Watts exposure number you threw out?

Phil

6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I assumed a 50 kg human multiplied by the stated power densities.

7. AC0OB

Okay, but what is the power radiated from the source and along the power lines and what is the power level or power density on the ground say 20 feet below and orthogonal to that power source?

Phil

8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly my point (reread my post). It would take an unrealistic power at the transmitter to generate the rat experiment power levels in a human at ground level.

AC0OB likes this.
  9. K4KYB

K4KYB Ham Member QRZ Page

This is not new and it was abandon as a viable way of doing internet 10 years ago

10. AC0OB

Thanks. I missed the basis of your comparisons and totally agree.

Unrealistic power densities, applied at unrealistic separation distances, applied for unrealistic exposure times, yield biased data to then be claimed as some new finding not supported by the actual science.

Phil

11. AF7TS

AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

12. AA7YA

AA7YA Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it will likely hinge on whether there are caps involved and the cost per month to the consumer. If there are caps and it's expensive, don't expect a stampede of customers flocking to this new technology.

13. K7IN

K7IN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This will also only be usable in areas that have overhead power lines. I doubt they will try and put something above ground for those who's utility lines are all underground.

14. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe this technology is mainly to provide the broadband trunk or data transmission line over moderate distances; not individual branches into neighborhoods or all the way to the house. The final link(s) will be converted at the last pole to a newer high speed DSL over old existing copper POTS, or new buried FTTH. Which is another reason not to fear exposure to any non-occurring un-harmful allegedly radiated EMF.

15. KO6KL

KO6KL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Seems power company is looking for new sources of funds now that solar powered homes cut into wholesale to retail energy markup profit.
    parts of canada use a non profit model for cable TV/internet service , any profit is used to build the network out to the rural areas
    and fund a free movie channel. much better business model then using corporate profit to feed the 1% on the board of directors and wall street.

N1CTO likes this.