ad: ProAudio-1

'National SOS' to conduct statewide drill

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jun 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. W6FYK

W6FYK Ham Member QRZ Page

Such optimism.

2. KC2ESD

KC2ESD Ham Member QRZ Page

All you Nay sayers out there, Have you even tried a FRS Radio? I have as posted before. 1/2 watt can go a long way on VHF/UHF. I hit a repeater 80 miles away on the N3KZ system more then once with a 1/2 Watt VX-1R with just a 8 inch aftermarket antenna. Don't knock FRS until you tried it yourself. Do some Mythbusting, I find 10+ miles is PLAUSIBLE with a clear shot between radios.
    Rick KC2ESD
    BTW I have Red Hair just like Adam of Mythbusters. [​IMG]

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Pure, unmitigated chaos. With hams the only silver lining...

4. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

So where is my invitation? If I had not read about this here or on the "other" message board, I would never known about it. It is outrageous to claim that 700,000 amateur radio operators have been invited to augment this system.

5. K0CBA

K0CBA Ham Member QRZ Page

Relax; take a deeeep breath think peacfull meadows....frolicking bunnies...bubbling streams.

Everyone seems to be getting their nuggets in a twist about this thing lately.

You know, its just an idea (you DO remember those?)......it flies or it flops.

At least the speculation will cease and we will all have the factual answer we have been waiting for on the edge of our chairs. In the grander scheme of all things who really gives a rodent's rump?

6. N2OBM

N2OBM Ham Member QRZ Page

FRS is great for OSC (onsite communications)...but another service would be required for long haul (in this case greater than 3-5 miles). Unless the disaster is very confined, HELP could be mile away....out of range. Good idea, wrong medium.
    At least somebody is thinking though....now if they just worked for that certain government agency. Just my opinion.
    Drive on.

7. N2LJD

N2LJD Ham Member QRZ Page

Here in the Catskills in New York, my teenager and I can talk less than a half-mile with FRSs.  However, I've read of people communicating 80-plus miles mountaintop to mountaintop.  As I've posted elsewhere, FRS radios are another tool, let's see how they work.

My only reservation is I think the proposed system is too complex; Channel 1 unless x, y, z; channels 8 or 9 unless a, b, c. etc.  Just go with Channel 1 no CTCSS as the emergency channel; as Channel 9 is the CB emergency channel.

If local folks want a system (like I'm hoping to establish in my little community of Indian Park in Greenwood Lake) let 'em adopt/adapt their own.

73 es stay tuned, same bat time, same bat channel!

Joe
    N2LJD

8. WA6ITF

WA6ITF Ham Member QRZ Page

No "opinion" you or I may have means anything. As a reporter, I learned long, long ago that conjecture based on assumption is worthless. The only way to find out if the SOS project has merit is to do a series of experiments like this in various localities and in areas of differing topography and population density. Only after looking at all the data will anyone have the vaugest idea as to this ideas potential for success or failure.

Ill wait to see the test results before issuing any praise or ridicule -- and maybe all of you should do the same.

de
    WA6ITF

9. N7OKL

N7OKL Ham Member QRZ Page

The biggest and most improtant flaw in the whole idea is the lack of 2 way contact....

Just having some one broadcast their situation and location in the blind is totaly useless....they will never know if their message was heard by some one that can help and will keep sending the same info over and over. This will jam up the freq.

To have any prayer of working, the hams and scanner guys will have to have an FRS radio to respond.

Another issue I have with this idea is the total lack of inclusion of CB. For all it's flaws, it is of more use in an emergency than any one gives it credit for.

And, no, you can not use a modified ham radio on FRS.....even in an emergency. FRS is governed by Part 95, not Part 97. The only area that Part 97 rules apply is ham radio. Get out of the ham radio bands and you must follow the rules for that service.

Mel
    N7OKL

10. KC2ESD

Maybe the FCC should change the FRS rules Such as changeable Antennas like a VX-1R and bring up the Watts from 1/2W to 5W of power. If External antennas are used the range can be brought up to a practical standard and the SOS system will work very good.
    Rick KC2ESD

11. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

Whether or not the RF energy will make it from Point A to Point B is only one part of the equation. Let's say for the sake of argument that these $15 bubble-pack radios actually will work (but I doubt it) in these limited experiments, there is no way to predict how people will respond in the event of a catastrophic disaster. While the capabilities of the equipment is suspect at best, the preparedness of the folks who are supposed to be pushing the PTT button or receiving their transmissions on their scanners is a far weaker link than the radios themselves. No matter how well the hardware works in this experiment, people will act and react differently when they are faced with seeing to the the welfare of their family and protection of their property after a catastrophic disaster.

As has been said over and over and over again, all one has to do is look at New Orleans in the time immediately following Katrina and the number of law enforecement officers who abandoned their posts. These were professionals who were supposedly trained in disaster response and hired specifically for that purpose. When the welfare of your family is at risk, all bets are off. How can we expect totally untrained civilians to handle disaster communications and relief any better than these so-called professionals?

Scott NØIU

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I disagree.

If you've ever been on a major ski slope, where everyone is packing an FRS, you'll soon see the utter morass that happens with people unaccustomed to simplex communications ,and operating procedures. And waiting turns.

Why, I've learned swears in Spanish, German, Russian, and Arabic, and others, that I never heard before. And that's just on snapshot occasions when I listen while grabbing a hot drink!

Now:multiply by 100. Or more.

Utter chaos.

13. AL5P

AL5P Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are counting on radio for a disaster situation, and you're not a licensed HAM, you better work on becoming a ham. I have tested FRS extensively and rarely get 1 mile out of it standing at street level. Not only that, but the people who are trained to handle your communication are the hams. Become a ham. It's not that hard and there is no excuse. Counting on FRS will lead to finding more bodies in attics, I'm convinced of that. You'll get more help waving your arms and screaming for help. Yes, use thm if you have them (FRS). But if you are looking into radio anyway, get your ham license and get a radio that really works. And make a neighborhood plan for crying out loud. Neighbors check on your neighbors and be sure we all know who's going where for shelter.

14. W4FJM

W4FJM Ham Member QRZ Page

What woodwork do these naysayers crawl out of? So an FRS portable doesn't have the range of a 50 watt ham radio. If it's all you have, what's the harm in giving it a try? If you are on a sinking boat in the ocean, do you not bother using the flare gun because, oh well, probably nobody is going to see it anyway! We are talking about an emergency situation. There are no guarantees. We simply DO our best and HOPE for the best. That's not false security, that's common sense! IMHO.

'73

15. KC2ESD

I have one more comment: Most FRS Radios are combo FRS/GMRS 22 ch units. They are 1/2 Watt Ch8 to Ch14 and 1 Watt ch1 to ch7, and Ch15 to Ch22. Therefor most FRS Radios sold today have 1 Watt on Ch1 not 1/2 Watt. I know you need a GMRS Lic for 1 watt on Ch 1 but most of the public just ignore it and for good reason, they will never get caught anyway. So FRS have a little more power then most of you guys thought they have.
    Rick KC2ESD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.