ad: TinyPaddle-1

N2DUP calls for changes in ARES EC staffing in MN

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by N2DUP, May 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N2DUP

N2DUP Ham Member QRZ Page

VOTE FOR A LEADER
    Chuck Gysi, N2DUP
    for ARRL section manager in Minnesota

NEWS RELEASE

For immediate release
    May 23, 2004

NOTE TO EDITORS:  A digital mug shot of Chuck Gysi, N2DUP, is available via e-mail request.  Please specify the file format you prefer.

N2DUP calls for changes in ARES EC staffing in Minnesota

Minnesota’s Amateur Radio Emergency Service needs changes to make the system work better, according to Chuck Gysi, N2DUP, a candidate for Minnesota section manager in this summer’s American Radio Relay League election.

While strides have been made to appoint more emergency coordinators (ECs) in each county of Minnesota, the system still seriously lacks an adequate number of county ECs, Gysi said.

“With all the concerns about homeland security and the need for amateur radio to interface with that activity, we need to make it a top priority to make ARES a more effective organization throughout Minnesota,” Gysi said.

Currently, the state is divided into 88 EC districts.  Each of the state’s 87 counties comprise their own EC district, except for St. Louis County, which is divided into two, north and south.

“Unfortunately, 56 of those 88 positions in Minnesota – including four of the seven Twin Cities metro counties – are vacant,” Gysi said. “That means only 32 ECs have been appointed in Minnesota.  That indicates to me that the system needs an overhaul.”

Gysi said he has given the EC system much thought and has discussed the matter in person with not only ECs , but also district emergency coordinators (DECs) and the state emergency coordinator (SEC).  

“The plan I have floated is to ensure every county has an EC appointed,” Gysi detailed. “If there isn’t a ham within a county willing to take on the EC role, then we need to look to a neighboring county for another already-appointed EC to assume an additional role.  From the discussions I have had in my recent travels around the state, this system will work because we will be able to have an EC in place, and then we can look at assistant ECs (AECs) or even official emergency stations (OESs) to assist within the designated county.”

Gysi notes that there already some areas of the state where an EC effectively watches over more than one county, such as the system in place in Houston and Fillmore counties in far southeastern Minnesota.  

“I have people willing to fill AEC and OES roles in counties without an EC, so all we need to do is get an EC in a neighboring county ready to assume additional territory, and we can get the job done,” Gysi said.  “My opponent has yet to advance a proposal to address this serious shortage of ECs in Minnesota.  I have a solid plan that will work and plan to begin working on its implementation even before I would take office as Minnesota’s next section manager.”

Gysi is a long-time ARRL volunteer himself and knows the ARES program well.  He has served as an EC and DEC, as well as OES and county and municipal officer for the Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Service (RACES).  He has been an active amateur radio operator for all 22 years he has been licensed.  He chose to run for the section manager’s position because of his leadership experience.

The section manager oversees the more than 2,500 ARRL members in Minnesota and appoints hams to serve in capacities ranging from official observers to public information officers.  ARRL members will be mailed ballots from league headquarters in Newington, Conn., about July 1.  

Gysi is available to make presentations at club meetings or other gatherings of hams anywhere in Minnesota.  Call him toll-free at (888) 463-5355 or send an e-mail to N2DUP@RadioHams.net.  In addition, he has set up an extensive web site about his candidacy at www.RadioHams.net.  

- 30 -

2. K8YS

K8YS Guest

wouldn't it be easier to just send every MN ham a $5.00 bill with a note that says "VOTE FOR ME"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.