ad: Halibut-1

My 2020 Ham Shack !

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Apr 5, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WJ2L

WJ2L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow. Looks great. What kind of antennas do you have up?

W3ATT and VA2PV like this.
  2. K3SX

K3SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Pascal thanks for a very interesting presentation. Did you draw out anything before starting or did it just come together as you began? Have you done a review on the MB1? Did you sons help you? I always end up under the operating table to run cables but I didn't see you in that position HI HI.
    73 Sid K3SX

WC5P and VA2PV like this.
  3. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Sacre Bleu !
    He has his own HRO franchise ! :cool:
    Magnifique !

G3SEA/KH6

VA2PV likes this.
  4. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I used two coffee tables from Ikea that I modified with a desk bought at Costco. You will find all the parts in the video below.

73 and thanks for watching. Pascal VA2PV

KF8QL, W4SEX and K0PV/SK2023 like this.
  5. VA2PV

Danke Wolfhart, 73 Pascal VA2PV

6. VA2PV

I don't know, any suggestion ?

7. VA2PV

See my previous response about the shelving. 73 and thanks for watching. Pascal VA2PV

8. VA2PV

Hi Sid, I did plan in a previous shack rebuild, see my previous response. The wires are all behind the desk, not much under it. Yes, I did review the MB1, see the video below. 73 and thanks for watching. Pascal VA2PV

K3SX likes this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

What you've done is taken ham radio--almost entirely a sonic enterprise--and made it a visual one:)

Some of the newer (rig) displays have striking 3D 'waterfall' spectra, and that would look amazing with a switch between the geochron and the 3D spectrum. One of the side monitors reading dxsummit.fi and or RBN would also be really cool. IOW, the quality of your visual panorama needs to showcase things that move and change, but are still ham radio.

These are not critiques, just additional suggestions on how to make your visual -surround even more immersive:)

Chip W1YW

10. VA2PV

For HF, I have a SteppIR UrbanBeam for 6 to 40 metres and an 80-meter dipole in inverted V. I have one triband antenna for VHF/UHF (with 1.2 GHz) and another dual band GP6. See both my videos below for the antenna setup. 73 and thanks for watching.

11. VK3SQ

VK3SQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Pascal. Great new set-up. I'm interested why you don't have the Kenwood 990 anymore. I love mine. 73 de Geoff vk3sq

12. WO2X

WO2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice job to Pascal and the others with the shack pictures. Very neat and clean!

I gave my shack a makeover last summer. I bought some used formica office cube workstation surfaces from an office supply company here in northern NJ. a 60x30" and 72x30" complete with legs, hardware to join the pieces into an L configuration and a new matching 3 drawer rolling file cabinet which fits underneath. I'm a minimalist so not a lot of equipment to show off. Radios are the Flex 6600 (now upgrade to a 6700) and an Anan 7000dle. I have the W2IHY 3x4 switch Plus equipment to have both radios share a common mic, amp and select between three different antennas. Total cost for the furniture was under $300.

Here's a picture. More on my qrz page.

Dave wo2x

[​IMG]

VA2PV and M0OXD like this.
  13. A71EA

A71EA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent work.
    A71EA

VA2PV likes this.
  14. WW5F

WW5F Ham Member QRZ Page

All look very nice.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned anything about noise yet.

I've found some monitors cause *severe* RFI in my radio when I put them near it... even with common mode chokes on all wires.

Luckily, I found a 24 inch ASUS that doesn't cause noise in my radio. Luckily... because googling monitors that are shielded turns up nothing. Well, I haven't googled lately, but about a year ago, it turned up nothing. It was luck of the draw for me.

VA2PV likes this.
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Try running them on a separately fused outlet (rom the radios), in addition to the ferrite.

VA2PV likes this.