ad: wmr-1

MUF in north east

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by KA1BSZ, Dec 14, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems that with rising solar flux and increasing sun spot numbers, the only mode that I see that is being used is FT8 & FT4. 15 meters now opens everyday! 12 and 10 every once in a while,maybe couple times a week and nobody notices or even try's to see if anyone is listening. We have many programs with the popular modes and they should be used like PSK,OLIVIA,CW,AMTOR,etc When the bands are open FT8 is a great mode for letting others know when the bands are open. So when you hear FT8 signals on 15,12,etc get on the air with the OTHER modes. Use these modes and bands or you know who will want to take them away.

N5CM likes this.
  2. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

I use the tried and true method for the mode I like best. I listen, but not to digital modes. There is activity to be heard and worked on high bands. By listening for CW stations, I quickly know how much activity is on a band.

24/7 the NCDXF beacons tell everyone what paths are open, and they provide a rudimentary method of determining path quality via beacon output steps in 10 dB increments. http://www.ncdxf.org/beacon/RBN.html

3. KQ0J

KQ0J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Most Ops I know tune the band - they don't hear anything on SSB and turn the radio off. Then they are amazed on the weekend when there is a contest
    with the same conditions and the band is full of signals.

4. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

Right on.

Those who want to encourage newcomers, especially youths, to give ham radio a try, may want to point out that listening with an adequate* antenna, a receiver or transceiver, and set of headphones will reveal what stations are available to contact. This method doesn't require a computer, software, and computer-rig interface. In fact it doesn't even require transmit capability, and can be done with a wide variety of shortwave receivers available used for $300-$600.

The state of the ionosphere and the quality of one's antenna will always trump anything humans do from a touch-screen or with knobs on HF radio.

* adequate antenna is defined by what each person expects to experience and accomplish from the hobby. I've witnessed numerous hams' disappointments (some of whom quit ham radio), because the roles of ionosphere and antennas had not been contemplated.

5. W9RLG

W9RLG Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been operating 17 meters for the past month. never check anything except make sure my radio and antenna is working properly. Call CQ oh maybe 5 times and have always gotten several returns. Shoot just get on and call CQ somebody will answer somewhere. Quit whining nobody is on. There are people on. Give it a try you might be surprise what you get111

Bob

VK6APZ/SK2022 and KA1BSZ like this.
  6. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of the more exciting contacts logged here resulted from CQs on a dead band.:D Just because you hear nothing, even domestic stations, does not indicate there is no propagation path to somewhere. If the geomagnetic field is very disturbed, well that's another story, and may mean find a good book.

W9RLG and KA1BSZ like this.
  7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe when others start paying for your radio gear they can think of telling you what modes you should or should not be using. Until that happens you decide.

KA1BSZ likes this.
  8. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

yes ...that's right if the band seems dead, then call cq on any mode and see what happens. if after a while no one answers, well then either they don't want to say anything or there is no propagation to any where.

W9RLG likes this.