ad: ProAudio-1

Mount Saint Helens on the Air | SOTA VOTA

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N7KOM, Oct 4, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. N7KOM

N7KOM Ham Member QRZ Page

ND7Y scored some permits for a hike up Mount Saint Helens. He brought along N7LFO and myself for a fun time activating. We got 20 QSOs on 2m FM and I got another 17 QSOs across 20, 30, and 40 meters (CW and SSB).

It was a great outing and a first time doing the hike up the Monitor Ridge route for me.

73 de Tim N7KOM

KI5SXE, KI6TSF, IU0DZP and 25 others like this.
  2. K7KSG

K7KSG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats on summiting and making a SOTA activation. Appreciate the effort of the hike, activation and filming. Bravo!

KC7ZXY and N7KOM like this.
  3. N7KOM

N7KOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you!

4. WD5GWY

WD5GWY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice video. Thanks for sharing. Last time I was near Mount Saint Helens was two weeks before it blew its top. ( over the road truck driver) I always wondered what it would be like to hike up there knowing it's history. I have hiked a few mountains in Colorado years ago. And once a dormant volcano in New Mexico. ( Capulin mountain) And another in old Mexico that had a lake in the crater. People would go swimming in the lake. There was a small village at the base of the volcano that had been partially destroyed about 90 years before I was there. There was still homes partially covered with lava visible.
    Wish I could do it again!
    James
    WD5GWY

KC7ZXY, W9TNC and N7KOM like this.
  5. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for taking us along on the hike!

Great views and it looks like you all had a good time.

KC7ZXY, WD5GWY and N7KOM like this.
  6. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Always a joy to watch these SOTA clips by N7KOM. And first time I heard no mass processing "5and9" to have highspeed contacts. To give the correct rapport for QRPers takes maybe more time but its important to know. And to give a "5and1" from summit to summit, mirrors the correct situation to that moment.

N7KOM likes this.
  7. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

WOW !!! nice activation I have ash from the BIG BOOM ! a friend was in Spokane, Wa. Well we have Mammoth Mtn. to worry about 73Phil..

KD8WU likes this.
  8. KU4C

KU4C Ham Member QRZ Page

Enjoyed the video very much, next best thing to being there. Beautiful shots of the lava dome, caldera and mountain glacier. The KX2 did the job for your many contacts and various modes. TNX JIM MCCLOUD KU4C

9. W4BTH

W4BTH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That was an awesome activation video. Cool how you guys worked 40m ssb as a group! Thanks for posting.

10. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a little bottle of ash from Mt St Helen's from the '80 eruption... seems like yesterday.

N7KOM likes this.
  11. K7GYB

K7GYB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow! Great job and what an adventure on this infamous mountain! 73!!!

N7KOM likes this.
  12. KD5AJC

KD5AJC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

great vid!! my heart was pounding just watching you climb!! great job everyone! Andy KD5AJC TX

ND7Y scored some permits for a hike up Mount Saint Helens. He brought along N7LFO and myself for a fun time activating. We got 20 QSOs on 2m FM and I got another 17 QSOs across 20, 30, and 40 meters (CW and SSB).

It was a great outing and a first time doing the hike up the Monitor Ridge route for me.

73 de Tim N7KOM[/QUOTE]

N7KOM likes this.
  13. JF1IRQ

JF1IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

oh. great
    73 JF1IRQ

N7KOM likes this.
  14. KD8WU

KD8WU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That'd be cool.

My EX has a piece of the Berlin Wall. (Kind of wish I had gotten that.)

N7KOM likes this.
  15. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Its just a crumb of concrete. If you want to see full parts of the former wall, you should visit the Imperial War Museum in London.

HB9EPC likes this.