ad: py7rp-1

Morse code not on the way out

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Feb 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Real amateur radio operators, on the other hand, took and passed FCC sanctioned tests and got assigned call signs and licenses so they can legally operate on our bands.

Just curious, do you think I am a 'real ham'?

IB4TL, BTW

2. AK4PX

AK4PX Ham Member QRZ Page

Definitely not on the way out at this station.

Yesterday I installed Ham Morse for the iphone and it works thru the car's bluetooth setup just fine :D

3. NI7I

NI7I Guest

If your plan, as you stated, was not to cause contention, why make such a dumb post..?? If that wasnt troll bait, I dont really know
    troll bait..Oh, and IB4TL

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2012
  4. AK4PX

AK4PX Ham Member QRZ Page

.. _... _ ._..

5. 2E0OZI

2E0OZI Ham Member QRZ Page

What I meant was they are doing it for the best reason of all - because its fun.

6. NI7I

NI7I Guest

Actually it's a double troll... One trying to get something going against non CW ops and another against CB ops.. I think
    if you eliminated all the CB people from the ham ranks, you would have substantially fewer hams.. I further believe that
    the percentage of poor operators fromthe CB ranks is probably the same as the percentage of poor ops from those who
    never operated CB radios..

7. N4RRL

N4RRL Ham Member QRZ Page

REAL hams KNOW what kind of antenna(s) they have and post it as such on their QRZ Bio page...

"What, exactly, is a 'verticle'?", I asked myself, as I had never heard of ANY kind of antenna by that name(and I am not exactly new to Amateur radio), so, I looked it up on "Dictionary.com" and this is what I found..

"Verticle
    Ver"ti*cle\, n. [L. verticula a joint.] An axis; hinge; a turning point. --E. Waterhouse."
    (Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc)

So, Michael, do you have an antenna that is a joint or a hinge or an axis? Or, do you have what most of us know as a "VERTICAL ANTENNA"?

My thoughts are, that a REAL HAM knows terminology of the Amateur Radio field and is capable of speaking intelligently about said field... Otherwise, one should probably just keep one's mouth shut about EVERYTHING about the field - including making stupid proclamations about the field.

Basicly Michael, NO one gives a rip about what you believe a real ham is. As far as the FCC and 99.99999999999% of the hams out here in the real world, as opposed to those (if any other than you) in your delusional fantasy world, consider anyone who has passed the FCC exams in place at the time of licensure as a REAL ham of the appropriate class.

So, next time you feel boastful or proud and think you have something that others might enjoy, or think is profound or wise.. Think again, and don't bore us with your delusional thinking..

8. N4RRL

N4RRL Ham Member QRZ Page

You may be correct about both, but, it is ironic that in his QRZ Bio, he actually states he came from the ranks of the CB'ers(nothing wrong with that, I was a CB'er in the late 70's as well, was with a local club that did a lot of good public service and made some friends among them).
    Also, it could be that he is simply psychotic and loves stirring up discontent...

9. AA7AS

AA7AS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah... but it's something else, too. It's a mode that, given an emergency, is by *far* the easiest to rig up transmission gear for. I mean heck, a mirror will do it in a pinch (line of sight only, durned high frequencies of light, lol) but you can do it with a coil of wire and a battery, too... sparks and clicks, etc. Or, if you've got just a few more components, actual, reasonable narrow RF. I always saw code as the simplest tool in the toolbox if you were *really* in trouble. You're not going to whip up a RTTY or Olivia or SSTV transmitter from a TV set if you're stuck in the rubble of a building dropped on you by an earthquake. But a CW transmitter? That, you might be able to pull off.

Also, CW has a serious ring of nostalgia to it. I don't use a computer to send or receive. Half the time I use a straight key, half the time paddles. It's fun. It feels... "personally technical." And yeah, I passed the 20 WPM test to get my extra, and even though I'm a musician and was highly motivated and etc... man, that was blinking difficult. I have distinct feelings about it -- not pride, but more of a sense that I got over a hump someone stuck in my face (to get the extra.) I don't care that the extra test doesn't require 20 wpm these days. I just care that *I* did it, and I know I would surely regret it if I hadn't.

The only thing that really annoys me is contests, hi hi. Cuz, it's very difficult to ragchew during them, and it is a very rare contest indeed that carefully restrains its ops to a limited band segment so the rest of us can still play. But that's a different set of whines and gripes. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.