ad: Radclub22-1

Monthly Transcontinental AM International Net

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by KK6IRZ, Jan 9, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KK6IRZ

KK6IRZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Fellow AMers
    First this is not an official notice of anything that is currently planned by AMI.
    I did pass this thought by our fearless leader John N9AMI and he told me it might be interesting to try so before putting to much effort into it I figured I would run it past the AM community.

With the new technology of SDRs I thought it maybe fun to have a monthly AM net that walk across the country.
    Here is the thought.
    Starting on some night one time per month at 4:30PM PST / 7:30PM EST the Net control would be heard in KFS and other SDR but lets say KFS as the main SDR for listening to net control.
    Anyone wanting to join the net could listen to Net control call for check in. Net control would be listening to several sdrs around the country and people on the east coast would start checking in or any other locations but it is likely the check-ins would start on East coast and then start walking across.

The not would last from the 4:30PM PST until 8:30PM PST so in theory each time zone would get a dedicated focus of 1 hour. Net control would first call for EST let it go around one time call for any non EST check-ins blend them in do another go round ETC... and just walk it across the country.

My thought is to do it maybe one time per month and it would be a cool blend of old and new technology.

Later if it seems to be fun and works out ok it could possibly even be tried world wide AMI using the same basic idea.

Would be interested in the AM community thoughts on this possible activity.

Jeff
    KA1WLZ - Formerly
    KK6IRZ Currently

KA6RES, W0PV, W9EBE and 1 other person like this.
  2. W9EBE

W9EBE Subscriber QRZ Page

It's been many years since I operated AM -- what a great mode! I find it fascinating that current technology can mesh (no pun intended) with such a traditional, time-honored method of radio telephony.

I remember when the Internet first appeared on the scene; some technologically up-to-date AM'ers would sometimes ask if the other participant(s) in a QSO had received his/her email. I found that to be such a stark contrast between the old and the new. At first it seemed sort of sacrilege. hi

Good luck with the Transcontinental AM International Net concept. I hope it's a success. Perhaps one of these days/weeks/months/years I'll get back into AM.

73 es ZUT,
    Chip W9EBE

3. KK6IRZ

KK6IRZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Chip
    Noadays getting back on AM is just a turn of a knob so how you will get back to the greatest mode on earth very soon. :) lol
    I just thought it might be fun to give it a try sometime in the future maybe bi annually would be enough.

jeff

W9EBE likes this.