ad: Mountaingoat-1

Missing 1.2Ghz Repeater System

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Nov 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

N8RFI writes:

Dear fellow Hams: It appears that our complete repeater system that is co-owned with KC8UV is missing. That's right. The equipment and the entire cabinet has been removed and is presumed stolen until returned or proven otherwise.

I use the term "our system" because we served the
    Detroit area with fine 1.2 Ghz service and demonstrated good use of the band. The machine was removed from the Penobscott building radio room in downtown Detroit earlier this year. Now, I figure whoever took this equipment is not very smart because it was sitting on top of the FBI monitoring equipment. The individual obviously had access to a locked area for radio maintainance. We have narrowed the field down to a person who works for a select few companies that serve the broadcast and commercial industries and who is most likely a Ham.

Word on the street is that it was transported to Ohio, possibly the Cleveland area. At this point all that I ask is for the equipment to be returned with a brief explanation. Now we all know the FBI is busy these days and the local authorities don't know what this repeater is until it affects their own communications. Therefore anyone with information of its whereabouts is requested to please contact N8RFI for consideration of a reward for return of this equipment. Whoever did this will be responsible for Southeast Mich. 1.2 GHz comms in the event of a disaster! This experience gives a bad taste to amateur radio.

Equipment Description:
    Icom RP 1220 purch Mich Radio 1994, TX 1282.025, RX 1270.025 PL123, 4 cavity duplexer, 40W amplifier (2X M57762 type), 18dB low noise pre-amp, switching power supply, 2 remote receivers, tri-plexer all in a short 19" cabinet with 2 cooling fans, clearly marked KC8UV.
    Total value new approximately $5,000.

Brief Review:
    The performance of this repeater is quite interesting indeed. The exciter was dialed down to 1-2W to drive the down east type amp using 2 Mitsubishi M57762 bricks in parallel. They would get nice and toasty, hence the 2 cooling fans. The receive pre-amp proved a nice compliment for the system and was required for good coverage. Speaking of coverage, this is indeed quite interesting. When the trees have leaves, absorption was readily apparent. Yet, with only 1W you could work it over 50 miles with a good line of sight or major road to duct the signal. Other obstacles were less rewarding, even at 500+ feet.

I once worked this machine all the way from Akron, OH with only 1W, although I was inside a Ford Motor Co aircraft at 30K ft and the transmissions were made through the hull of the aircraft! In recent months it had become very noisy and I attribute this either to a faulty switching supply or to a defective power amp. Great machine and duplexer (4 cavities are a nice size at this frequency) (however the Icom controller leaves much to be desired).

I have a nice mono band antenna waiting at home in the event that the equipment is returned. Does anyone know of one of these repeaters that has been sold lately? There aren't many out there and they are no longer manufactured.

Thank You, de N8RFI

e-mail rmccarth@ford.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.