ad: LZQSLprint-1

Mike O’Dowd, Sr., WB5BLR, San Antonio, TX

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by KF5KWO, Sep 16, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KF5KWO

KF5KWO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My father-in-law, Mike O’Dowd, Sr., WB5BLR, of San Antonio, Texas, became a silent key on 6 September 2020. Besides being my father-in-law, he was also my long-time elmer. He first encouraged me to become a ham in 1995 (before his daughter and I married) when I told him how much I enjoyed listening to shortwave radio. Over the years, though less active, he continued supporting me, checking in to see what kind of "hamming" (as he called it) I was doing, and even providing me his old TS-520SE, which inspired me to upgrade to General in about 2004. In later years, he was barely active, so he gifted me his TS-570S, which I use today. Mike himself became interested in ham radio in the 1950s when he was in the U.S. Army.

Most importantly, though, he was the best husband, father, father-in-law, and grandfather his family could ask for. He had the patience of Job, and exemplified traits attributed to St. Joseph: exemplar of manhood, guardian of families, and model of a quiet and contemplative life. He is dearly missed by his family and friends.

His full obituary can be seen here: https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/san-antonio-tx/michael-odowd-9347686

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2020
  2. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

THANK YOU JEFF,

WB5BLR OBIT.jpg
    ============== 1 animated Flag QRZ PAGE.gif
    ============ A FINAL SALUTE NEW.jpg
    ============ A BURIAL CROSS FOR MILITARY.jpg
    ====================== 1 A candle_animation_1_.gif
    A SILENT KEY REST IN PEACE NEW[1] BLANK.jpg

KF5KWO likes this.
  3. KF5KWO

KF5KWO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That’s very kind of you, thanks for this nice tribute. :)

K1LKP likes this.