ad: w5yi

MFJ's Martin Jue, K5FLU answers questions on YouTube

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G0KSC, Mar 29, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice interview. I watched it in its entirety. MFJ is the brand we love to hate, but in all fairness, for the most part, once the shakedown cruise is completed, the loose screws retightned, the occasional cold solder joint reflowed, you usually end up with a decent product at reasonable price which lasts a long time. Long live MFJ.

VU3DRU and WD5GWY like this.
  2. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had many MFJ (and subsidiary like Ameritron and HyGain) products over a period of decades. Only a couple had manufacturing defects like the infamous cold solder joints. I've had good service out of Martin's products and will rue the day they are no longer around

WD5GWY likes this.
  3. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Terrible audio "quality" for the Jue end of the conversation.

Jue's answer to the first question was wishy-washy. What I extracted was that the training of those who assemble MFJ products and those who do follow up QC is seriously lacking. I'm not buying the excuses. We all know what rolls downhill...

K9GLS likes this.
  4. M0RIF

M0RIF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have just one bit of MFJ kit s manual versa tuner MFJ941E and its just fine for the price, just a bulb replaced and a bit of lube on coax switch, very reliable tuner.

5. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

MFJ has kept many ham radio brands alive and available at reasonable prices.

MFJ customer service is very good when you need it.

Long live MFJ and his company!

W9FL likes this.
  6. K9GLS

K9GLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I would have asked why his employees are so transient? Yes I had to Merriam-Webster that one... transient: lasting only for a short time; impermanent. High turnover would be a more transparent term but that's too damning. Use big words that no one understands and hope they just nod their heads in agreement and smile. There is a reason MFJ stands for Mostly ***** Junk. It''s the Walmart of amateur radio. On a side note this interview was as dry as a popcorn fart.... speaking of popcorn, back to my bowl. Carry on.

7. N1IPU

N1IPU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Let's be honest about things. MFJs claim to fame is to copy, make as cheaply as possible, absorb and push sales over quality. They have never been true innovators in the hobby unless to capture some hams innovation. Never leaders in the hobby except to Walmart the industry. Multiple others have innovated and raised the standard and it's them I most appreciate.
    I tried to watch this but could not finish it. Like MFJ the quality was terrible.

K9GLS likes this.
  8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A transient workforce has been a growing problem for most employers for decades. Also, Martin said finding technicians in the Deep South is not easy. I think he’s done a really remarkable job at his unlikely location especially considering that they are largely vertically integrated. The workforce isn’t merely doing final assembly.

The first MFJ product I purchased was the venerable 949 antenna tuner. It’s been in constant use since 1993 and still works great. And what other company readily supplies schematics and reasonably priced spare parts (even new parts for experimenters)?

VU3DRU and W0PV like this.
  9. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

MFJ Roller Inductor tuners and ham sticks have worked very well for me. I'm still using one of their legal limit roller inductors now. They're not my FAVORITE manufacturer of ham radio equipment but I'm very glad they're in business.

10. W4HWD

W4HWD Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had a bunch of MFJ stuff over the years (who hasn't) and have never had any real problems with any of it. Reflow a few cold solder joints? Sure. That's been about it. I like MFJ.