MFJ PowerPole Strips

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6F, Jan 8, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. NF6E

NF6E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Agree. Banana plugs for past 40 years have worked just fine for me.

KI5AAI likes this.
  2. K6JPM

K6JPM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Some time ago I wanted to clean-up all the power cables in my shack so I bought an MFJ-1118 power strip. The unit looks nice and lets me make all my power cable runs look a lot better than the rat's nest I had.
    But, for what it is I think it is overpriced. Metal case with silk screening, a cheap switch, cheap meter, and ok connection lugs. I was curious what was inside so took it apart and was amazed at the very low quality construction techniques that must have passed for "OK" at the factory....bad connections/cold joints and a potential dead short on the power input side. I re-wired and re-soldered the unit and have been using it with no problem ever since. I am happy with it and it does the job but I would never buy another one. I would buy a few parts and make my own next time. Funny thing is I was aware of MFJ's quality but I figured "how can you screw up a power strip?" Hi Hi!

3. K9GLS

K9GLS Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a reason there is an acronym of Mostly F***** Junk. Fortunately we have become a "good enough for what it is" society and accept mediocrity and whatever the expert used car salemen of Youtube tell us to get. Thankfully most "hams" wouldn't ever open the case up to see the quality. If I spent $50 on a metal case and some AP connectors and "only have to touch up the solder joints" I would be hot pissed. Now back to my popcorn. Carry on.

VE3VXO, KR3DX and W2TAD like this.
  4. N1IPU

N1IPU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just don't click on the vids as these are not to educate but instead promote both the poster and whatever junk they are pushing. I am sorry but MFJ make junk courtesy of the Chinese Communist government. Don't care what kind of poverty the Ham is in as it far better to buy quality and have something that will last.
    If you want power poles invest in the crimper and the parts to make them instead and look at the kits here https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/powerpole-distribution-block-kit.742330/

You will get some valuable experience in building and support American business.

Always weird that whenever we get a good vid that shows you something the knock off vids appear within a few days. Couple of good posters have left or reduced their posting here over that kind of riding on ones coattails.

2E0HVK, KR3DX, N3FAA and 1 other person like this.
  5. PA0MHS

PA0MHS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, it's good to know that Anderson Power Products is a subsidiary of Ideal Industries, which also happens to have an office in Hong Kong. So there's a fair chance that our beloved Power Poles are manufactured in China too...

N2YQT, W1SRR, KF4ZKU and 2 others like this.
  6. N1IPU

N1IPU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Same of them are made within a few miles of me and company is a US one. Hong Kong is pretty basic to doing business in the pacific rim.

KR3DX likes this.
  7. K9GLS

K9GLS Ham Member QRZ Page

There's even a better chance that the CCP is making counterfeit powerpoles. If yours are spelled power poles... they might be from China.

KR3DX likes this.
  8. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Mason's don't sell anything?

9. W9HJ

W9HJ QRZ Lifetime Member #294 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Considering that the cheapest Rigrunner is $74.95 and the MFJ is $49.95 ... your comment of "About the same price." is patently false.

Personally I like Chunzehui F-1011. It's good construction and only $32.99 for 6 connections.

Heck, even a Powerwerkx PD-8 (which has 8 connections) is only $35.99.

West Mountain Radio RIGrunner devices are nice IF you absolutely must have a fuse on the device, as opposed ON the wire to the device, but IMO, they are way overpriced.

And yes, I have one in my truck.

N0TZU likes this.
  10. 2E0CIT

2E0CIT Ham Member QRZ Page

As I started out with nothing and worked my way up to a state of extreme poverty .....I made my own 12v power distribution board for all the shack gizmos and had fun doing it. It hides behind my monitor.
    It has a fuse.
    It has an rfi filter to cut rfi received by the 6ft cable from the shack psu (do the other$$$?)
    It has red and black twisted pair cables to equipment plugs, some with more filters and fuses on for sensitive equipment.
    And if I need more twisted pair cables for new gizmos I get out the drill and twist the cables and fit them in the spare holes in the choc block.
    (The photo makes it look twice as big as it really is)
    If you like what you see I can sell you a kit.....:rolleyes:

12v distribution with rfi filter and fuse.jpg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    N6MEJ, KF4ZKU and KE8JWE like this.