ad: Alphaant-1

Mexican Earthquake

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Mexican Earthquake

Reports from Victor Damian Pinilla Moran XE1VP President of the FMRE and Larry KI6YAA on the Mexican earthquake that struck at 2240 GMT April 4.

-----------------------------

Larry KI6YAA had been working the Amateur Radio satellites from grid square DM22 when the quake struck. On the AMSAT bulletin board he writes:

I decided to go out from the city on an open field of wheat that is no longer in use, It was me and my son Kevin KJ6DDS, I just worked some stations on AO-27 pass at 2045z, and I let Kevin use the station for the last half of the pass, he was so exited he worked seven different station and a new record for him. After we finish loading the station we went back home and picked up the rest of the family and hit Food 4 Less [store].

We were just across the cash register when a terrible 7.2 earthquake shake DM22 it lasted for about 2 to 3 minutes.
    It was people running all over the parking lot and cars speeding up, no power and no signals on the streets and when we arrived home all people were outside. After that and by the time I'm writing this message there has been 162 more ranging from 2.7 to 5.1, and they has been more then 200 on the whole day. We got our power back but we think we are not sleeping tonight.

I talk to all my friends here over our local EOC freq and everyone is ok, our death toll is only two people and around 100 injured, which is nothing compared with Haiti, we have several material damages but we hope to recover soon.

Larry KI6YAA

Victor Damian Pinilla Moran XE1VP, President of the Federacion Mexicana de Radio Experimenters (FMRE) writes:

Hi.

The Official information is -that- an earthquake of Richter 7.2 °, with an epicenter close to Mexicali Baja California. Civil Protection of the Interior Ministry (Federal Government) reported localized damage in Mexicali, apparently moderate undetermined deaths, reports that city shallow confirm this. Out of Mexicali, Tijuana and Southern California cities reported only a scare.

The information we collect we are publishing in real time on http://www.twitter.com/FMRE_MEXICO including data links you IRLP and EchoLink.

I understand that the freq. 7060 is off to traffic.

Victor Damian Pinilla Moran XE1VP
    President of the FMRE

Earthquake rocks western Mexico
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8603073.stm

Amateur Radio FRME on Twitter in Google English
    http://tinyurl.com/MexicoFRME

AMSAT Bulletin Board (AMSAT-BB)
    http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/tools/maillist/

Get Southgate Amateur Radio News by Email

Don't wait all week for the news!
    Amateur Radio News - updated daily - 365 days per year

2. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No damage in Calexico or the Imperial Valley of California?

How many Richter 6 quakes have we had on opposite ends of the San Andreas fault in the last few months? It would appear that the ends are moving rapidly and the middle is not moving. The pattern for big quakes in that region is that they come in 'swarms' of increasingly stronger quakes, until 'the Big One' stops quake activity for a few decades. Now, there seems to be a swarm of strong 6+ quakes. As always, 'the Big One' can't be far off.

By any chance, did Southern Cal, Nevada or Arizona hams hear anything unusual prior to the quake, such as multipath echoes or 'ringing' on HF signals?

3. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

This wasn't the San Andreas Fault. It was another one that runs parallel. This one causes a ringing far lower on the body.

Ed

4. KC2ESD

KC2ESD Ham Member QRZ Page

LA quake could happend

I have Google Earth with the earthquake option on. I am seeing small e-quakes happening in Southern California. I am going out on a limb and I am predicting a major earthquake in the next 60 days for Southern California. Be prepared in California. The out come will look like the Movie "Earthquake" but not like "2012" . Just be ready.

Rick KC2ESD

5. K6FI

K6FI Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you also predict the next 4 Mega Millions Jackpot too here in California?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.