Mesh Networking Over Ham Radio, Our OWN Emergency Backbone Network

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, Jan 2, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

How is this different than 802.11s? Not sure I see how this is HAM related.

2. WA4KFZ

WA4KFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The WRT54 routers, and BBHN are really old technology. The "ham" part of this was being able to operate at higher power levels (i.e., external power amplifiers and directional antennas) beyond the normal Part 15 constraints. The downside was having to contend with the massive interference environment presented by all of the consumer devices operating at Channel 1 and above.

The newer gear, supported by AREDN, allows hams to operate in the ham-only portions of the 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz bands. Both BBHN and AREDN use the same mesh networking concepts expressed in OLSR. The performance improvement in operating below Channel 1 is really striking; multiple-mile links are readily supported with the right path configuration.

Check out the AREDN web site:
    https://www.aredn.org/

KC6ZKT likes this.
  3. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

This was a very informative video. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The problem I have is finding the router. I have never seen stacks of them at Ham Fests for next to nothing. As a matter of fact, the Charlotte Ham Fest has dwindled from monstrous fifteen years ago to it's present size of almost not worth the fifty mile drive. You get about 5 hours of flea market time before the two dozen vendors start packing up and pulling out. It would be wonderful if someone, I am not smart enough, could write the rom upgrade for another brand of WiFi router besides Linksys (Yes, I realize that there are a couple of other brands that work, both of whom I have never seen or heard of). I have a couple of Motorola routers that I have been saving for this very reason, but I don't have the talent to rewrite the ROM. Thanks for the video. Maybe some day it will be practical for the masses. Right now, for me, there are a couple of pieces of the puzzle missing. I have joined the website and will stay tuned for further developments. 73

4. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hamfests need to open at noon for those of us who have to drive 125+ miles to get to them!

AC0OB likes this.
  5. KD4AMP

KD4AMP Ham Member QRZ Page

Great info video, but in a rural north florida area so will have to investigate further,tnx fer ur time and happy new year !!! jon kd4amp

6. N7ECV

N7ECV Ham Member QRZ Page

Awesome stuff as always Eric.
    I wonder what would happen if all those stations that mention NO node or lack of node, built a node.. How many more nodes would the network have? If you build it... They will mesh .

7. K1TCA

K1TCA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Really nice job on the video. Our local club is looking at putting together our own version of a SET this spring, using a MESH network to communicate around the town. Just getting started now, so these ideas are really great.
    thanks and 73

8. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

The Linksys WRT54G are very available at almost any thrift store I have been in. At least here in AZ. Check your local Goodwill, Salvation Army, or almost any other second hand store of this type. Typical price is around $5, usually sold without a wall wart, and sometimes without antennas. But you don't really need those things if you are going to modify it for mesh.

I have bought probably a dozen or more for a local ham who manages the mesh network here. I usually try to pick them up on "half price day", so I usually only pay $2.50 for them. These routers were ubiquitous a few years ago. Many people changed out to newer routers, and gave the old ones to Goodwill, etc.

9. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would have a node that would still require a 30 mile obstructed path... so high gain antennas and a power amplifier required. Not worth the expense.

10. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

sadly mesh networking has been dying a slow death over the last few years
    areas like our mountain topography do not allow such to happen