ad: chuckmartin

March Issue: The Logger's Bark Magazine

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W7UUU, Mar 10, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I took over as editor and publisher of our club's newsletter in January. It was just your standard newsletter like most clubs produce. But I have a long background in graphics and as a writer, so when I took over the challenge as editor, I decided to make it something special.... a full-blown magazine, with club news interspersed of course, but lots of feature content. Some written by contributors in the club, some from friends here on QRZ, and a large quantity I produce myself.

QRZ was very gracious in January to donate 15 QRZ-1 Explorer radios to a local event, called Camp Quest Northwest, where a group of teenage campers and their adult counselors took up residence in the W7DK clubhouse for a weekend. The goal was to expose them to radio, help them study for their Technician exams, and ultimately take their test with the club's VE team. If they passed, they would receive a QRZ-1. The club paid for all of the training materials and waived the VE fees for the students.

Recently I presented the resulting article of this fabulous event to my fellow staff at QRZ, and the response was overwhelming to start publishing the Logger's Bark on the front page of QRZ each month as another fun resource for hams to read.

The March issue is the inaugural edition for the site. The article about Camp Quest Northwest begins on page 53 if you want to jump right to it. One thing you'll notice is I've redacted all the Board and General Meeting minutes, as they aren't very relevant outside the club. So after you view the first columns and such, the rest of the magazine picks up at page 31. Future editions, the minutes will be at the end, since they're linked to the Table of Contents and thus easy to find.

I hope you enjoy reading this publication.... and be watching for the April edition which will have a lot of fun surprises in store.

A big thanks to QRZ for the opportunity to post The Logger's Bark here on the site.

Here is the download link: https://static.qrz.com/w7dk/March2024-QRZ-compressed.r1.pdf

(Please only download it from this link - not from the club site - the club can't support the bandwidth - this will be GREATLY appreciated! - but DO feel free to visit the site by all means - just only download the newsletter magazine from the QRZ link)

Dave
    W7UUU

upload_2024-3-9_19-13-10.png

KW4BY, KO4CES, N0TZU and 19 others like this.
  2. NZ4X

NZ4X Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Swapmeet Lead QRZ Page

I spent over an hour this morning reading "The Logger's Bark". Went well with a good cup of coffee. I really enjoyed it!

Ronnie NZ4X

KB7TXS, K0UO and N3AWS like this.
  3. NM3G

NM3G Ham Member QRZ Page

Outstanding Dave. Best newsletter I've ever read.

Keep up the good work.

Rick
    NM3G

KB7TXS and N3AWS like this.
  4. WD4DXQ

WD4DXQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well done!

Steve
    WD4DXQ

N3AWS likes this.
  5. N3AWS

N3AWS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Simply OUTSTANDING!

Dave, how in the world do you find the time and energy to do all of these things?

N0TZU and KB7TXS like this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

There are a few outstanding club 'rags' and this is one of them.

IMO the ARRL should seek out the best of these 'club-pub' articles, from here and elsewhere, and republish them in QST. No need to always depend on internal and unsolicited MS's at Newington...

MO.

Chip W1YW

KD9TED, K0UO and W7DGJ like this.
  7. K4BAD

K4BAD Ham Member QRZ Page

8. K4BAD

K4BAD Ham Member QRZ Page

Superb newsletter….Great graphics!

9. W7DGJ

W7DGJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Love that you'll be publishing it here for the broader audience every month. Great stuff and it will only be good for your club
    Dave

10. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

It's very gracious of QRZ to ask me.... I didn't approach them. I'm honored.

AND the fact that QRZ hosts the huge file directly.

Thanks QRZ :)

Dave
    W7UUU

N3AWS, G3ZBP, K0UO and 2 others like this.
  11. NI9Y

NI9Y XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A work of art and information. :D

12. K1SIP

K1SIP Ham Member QRZ Page

Great job, Dave! It will probably take me a whole month just to get through all of the great articles and information within there! This is something that's worth having a print subscription to.

N3AWS likes this.
  13. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

applause.gif

KD9TED and N3AWS like this.
  14. N3DY

N3DY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Dave... New Ham here. Tech in January, General in February, and taking my Extra on Saturday, and this is by far the best newsletter I have ever seen. Great info for someone like me really loving this hobby and trying to soak up as much radio information as possible. GREAT, GREAT, WORK!

Will you post the next issue here as well?

Bill
    KQ4OAJ

15. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree but then ARRL would up the membership to cover the cost.;)