ad: ProAudio-1

MacloggerDX Adds JS8Call Logging

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0PIR, Jan 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K0PIR

K0PIR Ham Member QRZ Page

New in MLDX v6.26. I know, I know, lots of Hams don’t like JS8 or FT8. They are here to stay though. Below is how I set up JS8Call logging on my 2011 iMac.

JS8Call supports “typeahead” now.

64EBC492-0DE7-4C03-8A38-9135CC0AF1BE.jpeg

See the articles here. More to come.

Best 73 and good DX in 2020.

Attached Files:

KE9OL likes this.
  2. KE9OL

KE9OL Ham Member QRZ Page

I LIKE ALL MODES OF HAM COMMUNICATION, EVEN ONES I CHOOSE NOT TO USE OR WHICH HAVE YET TO BE INVENTED. I JUST WANT ANY MODE CAPABLE OF AUTOMATED OPERATION TO HAVE IT'S OWN AWARD STRUCTURE.

MAYBE SOMEDAY THE HAM BANDS WILL NEED TO BE EXPANDED TO ACCOMMODATE ALL THE NEW MODES. WORKS FOR ME TOO.

K0PIR likes this.
  3. K0PIR

Nice to hear from you and thank you for the comment!

Best 73,
    Rich, K0PIR

KE9OL likes this.
  4. AA3SO

AA3SO Ham Member QRZ Page

He yells to much.

K4MID likes this.
  5. KI5FJE

KI5FJE Guest

I was one of the early Ham to embrace JS8, all very good...For DX is the score no matter the means (As long as it is through Ham radio!)...I like to rag chew, FT8 and FT4 does not give that option, but JS8, does with the same specifications as FT8 (-24 db decoding ability / 50HZ BW) but the ability to have a modest 13 - 20wpm QSO...

Once the band conditions get better, I am on to SSB...

The logging and all the rest of it, so be it...More things to configure and make more efficient

And thank you Rich (K0PIR) for taking time out to share the info with us...

NN2X, Tom...Happy New Year!

K0PIR and K2NCC like this.
  6. K0PIR

Hi Tom,
    Thank you, I appreciate your input. I found the type-ahead is very nice to have in this update (v2).

I hope to hear you on and best 73!

Rich, K0PIR

7. KC4LRR

KC4LRR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Rich,
    Thank You very much for the post. I use MacLoggerDX with my TS-890. I have Not done anything with FT8/FT4 modes. Call me Old School but I'm one that doesn't care for automated contacts or Macro QSOs in RTTY or PSK modes. I plan to try JS8Call and your video will be helpful.
    RJ
    KC4LRR

K0PIR likes this.
  8. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmm, MacLogger.....is that the logging program Scottish hams use?

p.s. Unlike internet chat UPPER CASE IS ALL JS8 SENDS AND RECEIVES....SAME FOR FT, JT AND EVEN CONTESTIA DIGITAL MODES....SO....UNLIKE INTERNET CHAT, IT'S NOT SHOUTING.....GET USED TO IT.

K0PIR and WW4JF like this.
  9. K0PIR

Thank you for commenting. The type-ahead is working good in JS8Call. I think you'll enjoy it.

Best 73,
    Rich, K0PIR

10. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been trying JS8, but after 1 week, I have had a grand total of ONE person actually want to chat with me.

Ops here in Asia (and there aren't many on JS8) seem to just want to use it like FT8.

11. W1ND

W1ND Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've setup a little Raspberry Pi 4 Ham Radio device and have been testing out all the various modes. WSJT-X works for FT8, like watching paint dry, though I found I can do FT8 while working when I VNC into the Pi, I can't do that with CW.
    I've been trying JS8Call as it seems a little less boring than FT8 and a little more conversational, however, I've seen a grand total of zero actual hams on JS8Call. I see stations, but they are simply returning signal reports.