Looking at 40 meter Propagation using WSPR and a EFHW Antenna

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Nov 16, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. N1FM

N1FM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

VK7HH -- I loved the addition of the 70uH loading coil to 'disconnect the tail' of the ant, as you mentioned, and I enjoyed seeing the real time effect of grey-line changes as you were suddenly able to work Europe, and of course, the full daylight changes, where contacts became almost purely local. I'm sure you educated some old hands as well as new. Good job and very interesting!

VK7HH likes this.
  2. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Tom!
    I hope to do more videos such as this shortly. Just finding time is the key at the moment.

the EFHW is indeed versatile as you have said, broomstick out the window is a classic!

3. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for watching and commenting! I have plans for another similar video, but perhaps on a slightly different band this time.

4. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here we go again with that "new to Ham" thing.

5. VK4XO

VK4XO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Personally, I do not see this as the best indicator of usable propagation however, it is interesting

Cheers

Peter VK4XO

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020 at 11:27 PM
  6. VK4XO

VK4XO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

With all due respect, I cannot see that the OP presented this as a "News "article. It is currently labelled as a "Video" on the QRZ home page and does not appear to be clickbait of any sort. It seems to provide exactly what is in the title.

Anyway, to each their own and, with the three videos presented in this article receiving in excess of 7,500 views combined, it would appear that there is interest in the content.

All the best everyone, stay safe.

upload_2020-11-25_9-18-34.png

Peter VK4XO

Attached Files:

7. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

With all due respect, it was originally listed with a "News" tab. Apparently it has been changed to the "Video" tab.

8. EA2AAE

EA2AAE Ham Member QRZ Page

FT 8 is better than wspr for testing our dx distancie. Just go to psk reporter and ask for your signals, that are reported by a lot of people running ft8 ( like me) I can see where my signal has reached and S/N level. And..... on real time. I can see if australian satations are hearing me, so i can go to qrz and see the antennas he is using ( not everyone) so i have very precious information.
    Ok, i am not 24 hours running ft8, but there are more reporters than in wspr.
    Wspr is perfect for comparing antennas. Just put 2 signals on the 2 antennas (at the same time) and see the results.

Attached Files:

9. KB5IAV

KB5IAV Ham Member QRZ Page

I get on FT8 and make a CQ to see how far I'm getting out. This morning I got on 30 and found I was being heard in both Europe and Japan! There are spotters for FT8 all over the place on pskreporter.info so you'll know where you're being heard anywhere in the world.