ad: Radclub22-1

Long Wire Antennas

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by EI0CL, Feb 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W1ZY

W1ZY Ham Member QRZ Page

KD7PTN

Take a SO-239 chassis mount female coaxial connector and solder four lengths of coat hanger wire to the base after crimping them to the empty screw holes. Take a fifth piece of coat hanger wire and solder it to the center conductor. This makes a simple groundplane. Plug a PL-259 male coax connector into this and the other end ot your rig and you're all set.

The lengths of the coat hanger wires should be 5/8 or 1/4 wavelengths of the operating frequency. Mount the antenna on a broom handle and stick it on the roof.

2. AG4PM

AG4PM QRZ Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (W1ZY @ Feb. 26 2002,06:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">KD7PTN

Take a SO-239 chassis mount female coaxial connector and solder four lengths of coat hanger wire to the base after crimping them to the empty screw holes. Take a fifth piece of coat hanger wire and solder it to the center conductor. This makes a simple groundplane. Plug a PL-259 male coax connector into this and the other end ot your rig and you're all set.

The lengths of the coat hanger wires should be 5/8 or 1/4 wavelengths of the operating frequency. Mount the antenna on a broom handle and stick it on the roof.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    This is the first antenna I ever had.  Made it exactly as you stated and it worked great.  Used it for simplex and packet.

3. KD7PTN

KD7PTN Ham Member QRZ Page

Figured out the length using the formula L=234/f
    However, getting a coat hanger to solider to the so 239 is interesting.. did get it .. only the center of the so 239 broke off still enough there if I can get a connect or over it and couple it to the coat hanger element.

i think i will place a piece of rubber tubing a couple inches long over the center end of the so 239 for reninforcement .. any body have any other thoughts on this ?

this is the first antenna i have ever built hope it works. I will be trying to key a repeater that is about 10 miles from me as well as simplex ..

4. KD6GN

KD6GN Ham Member QRZ Page

on long wire antennas: see my article in the september 2001 cq magazine on a simple 160 meter inverted-v antenna which can easily be turned into a sloper v-beam for 40 through 10 meters.  kd6gn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.