Long Wire Antennas

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by EI0CL, Feb 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

The fence wire idea is very good, but think of this.. If you live or travel in an area were there are large leases of land for cattle the top wire of the fence(barbed wire) on "dry" wood posts, cut to length and hooked to a random wire tuner can work like a charm.  [​IMG]  Think about it I'm camped next to a section of land fenced to live stock, with three insulators and some fencing pliers I can have a full wave 160M dipole. [​IMG] . Just remember to not make a break in the fence line that livestock can  walk thru, by leaving an opening. [​IMG]

2. N4ZN

N4ZN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Best hope the SPCA doesn't find out that you're RFing poor dumb animals...and remember to check the fence first for voltage [​IMG]

3. AG4PM

AG4PM QRZ Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KG4OHE @ Feb. 19 2002,18:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">and resonant cut counterpoise wire "reflectors"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    How important is it that the counterpoises be resonant? In what directions should they lie on the ground? Directly under the wire? How does the location of the counterpoises affect the pattern? How does one model counterpoises in EZNEC?

Looks I have used up all of my question points......

[​IMG]

4. K2YYY

K2YYY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I started out wanting to put up a long wire antenna on my property.  
    I ended up with a 210' terminated wire antenna about 30' off the ground.  The trees
    on my property are Aspens and they don't grow to 100'.

I am using a 600 ohm 100 watt resistor to terminate the antenna.  The end of the
    antenna comes down out of the tree and connects to the resistor and to a ground
    rod.  I have 10 20' radials laying on the ground connected to the ground rod.

I am able to tune it up with minimal SWR (1.1:1) on 80-10m.  My radio (Atlas 210X) does
    not have 160m or the WARC bands.  Without the radials or ground rod, I could not tune it
    on 20, 15, or 10.  When I added the GR, I got 20 and 15.  The radials made 10m tuning easy.

Not only have I worked 50 states on 75m SSB, but for Hawaii and Alaska I was using
    a borrowed Argo Scout and 5 watts.

Stuart, WA2PQE

5. VE7QRZ

VE7QRZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Good forum, I picked up a couple of good points. Here is a summary of my last experiment with long wire(multiple wavelength) antennas.

The closer you can get to the theoretical ideal the better.

My last long wire antenna was 400 feet of 22 gauge wire hung from trees at heights varing from 20 to 10 feet above the ground(wire sag). There was one 310 degeee jog on the wire run. The rig was grounded into the house electrical ground outlet on the second floor of the house. The antenna was fed directly into the back of my MFJ 160 - 6m tuner. Power 100 watts. I was working as VE7QRZ/VE3 for a few weeks.

I worked without much effort both coasts on 80m on up through the bands with good resluts and the Carribean on 6m. If I had only been closer to the theoretical ideal.  [​IMG]

Experiment, experiment,experiment [​IMG]

6. N4SL

N4SL Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ve7qrz @ Feb. 22 2002,19:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I worked without much effort both coasts on 80m on up through the bands with good resluts and the Carribean on 6m.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Tell us more about these carribean "resluts" on 6m! Dang, VHF keeps getting better and better!! Hooo Doggies!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

N4SL

7. M0CPR

M0CPR Ham Member QRZ Page

its a good posting and well done to you if youve got the space for these type of antennas,but......i would be more impressed by someone who loads up a garbage bin and works the world with it,and then tells you he/she is only in an appartment block in the city and still does the business with it..........?[​IMG]??? is size and i have a million acres of land to put up anything realy what ham radio is all about [​IMG]??.they may not be 59+30 but the effort was there.......heres to normality, not ive got this ive got that.ohhh and welcome to the real world.

8. N8ARY

N8ARY Ham Member QRZ Page

What's the big deal? If you don't have the space, put up a smaller antenna and just live with it. The longwire I have up is about 150 feet long and is not anywhere near straight. The highest point is about 25 feet. I just have to accept I can't have a resonant antenna on any band below 40 meters because of my lot size unless it's a vertical.

9. VE7QRZ

VE7QRZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The last time I checked, I noticed that this forum is about Long Wire Antennas.

I really like long wire antennas and have been a member of the LPCA (Low Power Crummy Antenna) group for a long time. They are cheap.

I have been very lucky to have had the opportunity to expand on the basic design of a short piece of wire stuck out the back of the rig.

One phenomenon of long wire antennas I like is the apparent gain effect when the wire approaches 5 or more wavelengths of the operating frequency. The down side of course, is the non-rotatability of the antenna because of the size and construction logistics.

At the 6m-frequency range this multi-wavelength size can be reached with wires approaching 95 feet. The gain effect can also be noticed using a 160m dipole as a 6m antenna. Yes, you read that right, a 160m dipole as a 6m antenna. I have worked from VY1 land into JA8 land and the southeastern USA using that type of set up. Great fun! For those interested there is some theory and math involved that ties the two antennas together.

I have not had the opportunity to work 2m from long wire antennas and would be interested to hear from operators that have tried.

10. KD7PTN

KD7PTN Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a new ham operator and am interested in building a cheap 2 meter antenna for base station operations. Will a simple long wire work for this? and if so how long do I need to make it? I will be using a heathkit 2036 on a power supply. I aquired the radio at a thift shop for $14.

Believe it or not!
    lonniebh@fidalgo.net
    73's
    KD7PTN

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.