ad: Retevis-1

KR5SIX becomes the first female Ham to make QSOs while parachuting.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KV5SIX, Nov 17, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KV5SIX

KV5SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Ranae Six (KR5SIX) takes her first skydiving jump and it’s history in the making! While attending a YouTuber's dinner during the Huntsville, Alabama Hamfest this past August 2023, Ranae made history by becoming the first female Ham Radio Operator to make QSOs on the way down while skydiving. This video tells the story.

suggested-thumbnail.jpg

OE7HPJ, VU2EXP, W8GJK and 18 others like this.
  2. KK7KBC

KK7KBC Ham Member QRZ Page

beautiful ... 10 4

HB9EPC and N4FZ like this.
  3. KV5SIX

Thank you. Yes she is. Inside and out.

F6EPO and N4TTW like this.
  4. AD4ZU

AD4ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

You managed a "selfie" while holding a handheld radio when being in flight. Why didn't YOU serve your COUNTRY as a Paratrooper? If you like an adrenalin rush and can do something meaningful, the Airborne is always looking for you! Believe me, there's a lot more "rush" to being Airborne than what you did - but kudos! On the right track. Good luck

HB9EPC, G3SEA and WB3EBN like this.
  5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My XYL N0UO, did that in 1987 at Skydive Houston which was just south of NASA.

She had a number of contacts. She used a Dave Clark headset set up in her helmet.
    In fact there was another XYL on one of the jumps that was also a ham, and they contacted each other on the way down.

73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" miles of wire in the Air & On the AIR daily

KI6BTY, N5JEP, WD4ELG and 7 others like this.
  6. KV5SIX

She is not a veteran. I am however. She didn't take the selfie either. That was taken by her jump instructor.

HB9EPC, W0FS, KC5JSR and 1 other person like this.
  7. KV5SIX

Very cool. Then I guess she was first. :). We searched and couldn't find any

HB9EPC, W0FS, KI5UXW and 2 others like this.
  8. K7ZFI

K7ZFI Ham Member QRZ Page

I have done that many times doing demo jumps into weddings and grand openings. Not to mention a few motorcycle races. She may be the first female to do it but I did this as a male a lot when I was still jumping regularly. I also used my hand held flying my hang glider MANY times...

HB9EPC, G3SEA, N3AWS and 2 others like this.
  9. K7ZFI

K7ZFI Ham Member QRZ Page

I've managed that and more while skydiving. Only during the parachute ride part. I stuffed my hand held in my jump suit and pulled it out once I was safely under canopy. I still had use of both hands and sometimes I used a speaker/mic which made things even easier. Also used my radio while flying my hang glider A LOT...

HB9EPC, K0UO and KV5SIX like this.
  10. ON3MDR

ON3MDR Ham Member QRZ Page

Man, I can never put my antenna that high;)! Great story, thanks :)

HB9EPC, KA0HCP and KV5SIX like this.
  11. KV5SIX

That really has to be the most idiotic statement ever by the way.

W0FS, W5MCR, G3SEA and 12 others like this.
  12. KD9YLL

KD9YLL Ham Member QRZ Page

i dont think id ever do something like that, besides my fear of heights, my false teeth would fly out HI

KK4NAW, G3SEA, W5HEH and 4 others like this.
  13. ON3MDR

ON3MDR Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL! Best post in the thread!! ;)

G3SEA, KV5SIX and W5AMG like this.
  14. AD4ZU

AD4ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

No I have even better "idiotic statements" hhaa! And I meant it. If civilians are looking for "adrenalin rush" then serve our country. You will get it! Best, Chris

HB9EPC likes this.
  15. KV5SIX

She's a retired female. I think she served her country just fine as 41 years as a nurse. Her parachuting was not about an adrenaline rush.

Every time you open your mouth I just think you're more stupid than the last time.

W8GJK, K0ACS, W0FS and 8 others like this.