ad: portazero-1

KI8O SK

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by KA0AZS, Aug 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KA0AZS

KA0AZS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ernie Hudson, KI8O, The Montgomery County Ohio ARES EC, became a Silent Key 2 August 2002 at age 69.

Some postings from the Ohio District 3 Web site:
    ( http://www.qsl.net/ohd3ares/ )

From Sam, N8VES
    This was the text of the eulogy that Sam read during the ARES net of 7 August 2002.  Ernie had been scheduled to be Net Control that night.  Randy, KAØAZS assumed Net Control.  We started the Net with a moment of silence.  For the Montgomery County EC report, Sam read the following:

It will be difficult to describe the loss of Ernie this evening. I'm sure that he would say “Well good evening Randy and all the members of the net. I really appreciate you being there and you're doing a great job.” Unfortunately we will never hear those words from him again.

Ernie was an exceptional amateur radio operator who devoted countless hours to his hobby and to public service. And somehow found time to work and raise a family. We can't thank Ernie enough for the countless hours he spent on  the radio in the aftermath of the 1974 Xenia tornado and other times of crisis. We can't thank him enough for the countless hours he spent at the Red Cross receiving the latest disaster relief info and training others how to react. We can't thank him enough for the countless hours he devoted to the Amateur Radio Emergency Service preparing, planning and executing
    disaster exercises.  Or the countless NTS messages he has taken and delivered over the years. His mild manner and cool headedness made him a superb Emergency Coordinator able to sort though the chaos and help find solutions nary raising a temper in the process.

And almost without a whisper of the wind he passed. He will be sorely missed by those who knew him, loved him, and worked with him. And now may he spend countless hours with the Creator Almighty. And as I pass this back to net, may I now say KI8O from N8VES, 73 and fare thee well, my friend.

From Joe Phillips, K8QOE, Ohio Section Manager:

Ernie was a quiet giant in the ARES program both for his county and for the state of Ohio.  A calm and easy going manner was his trademark. This, however, did not prevent him from effectively running the ARES program in Montgomery county. In the process, Ernie received the love and respect of all those who worked with him. Ohio will miss his quiet touch.

From Fred Stone, W8LLY, Green County EC:

Ernie earned his ham license, WD8NBH at a license course conducted by the Bellbrook Amateur Radio Club in 1977.  Ernie was active in the Bellbrook ARC from the time he was licensed through the 1980's or so, until he became the Communications Coordinator for Red Cross (both meetings were on the 3rd Thursday and he couldn't make BARC meetings any longer).  Ernie served as BARC President for a couple years and was the BARC Newsletter editor for several years in the 80's.  I remember Ernie's first Field Day, with BARC, how excited he was and how much fun he had. He really enjoyed Field Day for a number of years.

From the ARRL Web Site:

Ernest A. Hudson, KI8O, SK: Ohio amateurs are mourning the loss of Ernie Hudson, KI8O, of Dayton, who died August 2. He was 69. An ARRL member, Hudson served as Emergency Coordinator in Montgomery County for more than 20 years. "Ernie was a quiet giant in the ARES program both for his country and for the State of Ohio," said ARRL Ohio Section Manager Joe Phillips, K8QOE. "A calm and easy going manner was his trademark." Phillips said Hudson had earned the respect and affection of those who worked with him. "Ohio will miss his quiet touch," Phillips said. Hudson also was a member of the Dayton Amateur Radio Association, which sponsors Dayton Hamvention. He also served from 1996 until 2002 on the State of Ohio Council of Amateur Radio for the Montgomery-Greene County Local Emergency Response Council. He received the DARA Distinguished Service Award for 2001. A service was held August 6 in Kettering. -- Ron Moorefield, W8ILC
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.