ad: ProAudio-1

KA3AYK

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by WV6Z, Aug 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WV6Z

WV6Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Joseph (Ed) Miller, KA3AYK of Belton (Anderson), SC, passed away this morning, 16th of August, 2006, as he was leaving home to go to work.

Ed had moved to South Carolina from Maryland a few years ago and worked in communications for the South Carolina Highway Patrol. In addition to being very active in the amateur radio community, especially on 147.420 with the simplex crowd, he was also an audiophile who loved all kinds of music and was a big fan of the new band Blazing Bluegrass. Ed's other interests included railroad and his fantastic stereo equipment.

Ed was a welcome addition to our gang of simplex misfits and the FT-980 that he had listed on his bio under the call sign look up came into my possession less than a month ago..... Ed, I will put many more miles on her for you my friend and she will remain in my care until it is my turn to join you.

Best 73 and have a great journey from Tom ~ KU4MY and all of your other friends here in SC.

2. KG4FQG

KG4FQG Ham Member QRZ Page

Far too late I just found Tom's post and learned about the loss of Ed. He and I shared much discussion about various aspects of hamming in my earlier days and when they closed the local HP office where he worked he came by with a car full of the radio goodies they cleared out. "If you can use any of this, it's yours." he said. The copper alone was worth a bundle and I still use the big motorola fuses and holders he gave me. Ed was like that. He almost got me to apply for work with him at HP dispatch. I regret not going for that one. Those who took the time to know Ed will miss him. He didn't talk a lot on the local repeaters compared to many but when he did it was worth listening to, every word. They don't make them like Ed anymore.

KG4FQG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.