ad: k1jek

K8DD final update 11-13-10

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by N1ASS, Nov 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N1ASS

N1ASS Ham Member QRZ Page

He will be missed,Bill N1ASS:(:(:(:((

Date: Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 6:37 AM
    Subject: K8DD final update 11-13-10
    To: ac8w@arrl.net

All...

This may be the hardest email I've ever written.

At 5:33 a.m. this morning Henry Richard Kohl passed away from respiratory
    complications in the ICU of Henry Ford Detroit. Hank was surrounded by his
    wife Kathie, son Andy and friends Trish and Stan Arnett.

Per his wishes there will not be a funeral, but a memorial service will be held
    sometime in the Spring.

Kath extends her thanks to everyone for their cards, prayers and well wishes.

K8DD (SK) RIP

I'll try to write more when I'm less likely to short the keyboard with tears

Stan, AC8W

2. K8JA

K8JA Ham Member QRZ Page

K8DD ..SK.. R.I.P. My Friend.........DE K8JA

3. K1LWI

K1LWI Ham Member QRZ Page

K8DD

HENRY K8DD R I P GOD BLESS :(
    WENDELL
    K1LWI

4. K8PG

K8PG QRZ Lifetime Member #333 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

K8DD a gentlemen and a pillar to amateur radio.

:( What a sad day for amateur radio indeed.
    I meet Hank at the SEMARC back in 1972 when I was a Novice-we became fast friends Hank always was willing to help and answer all my newbee questions anytime-he helped me build my first Invee. Hank was a wonderfull Dxer, cw operator, Hank was my DX mentor, I had conversation with Hank 3 weeks ago and did not know he was ill,he said nothing-that was Hanks way-he has left a giant space in the amateur community, if you knew Hank you know what I mean. God Bless you Henry-I bet your after that Rare one and planning a new Dxpedition-a lot of people will miss you buddy-you have left us to soon. May you rest in DX land, I cry for you and your family - Gone but will never be forgotten.

Paul Genaw/WN8TGH-K8PG

5. WE0H

WE0H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It brings tears to my eye's thinking that I will never be able to speak with Hank again. He was such a wonderful person. God rest your soul my friend...

Mike
    WE0H ..

6. WB8RFB

WB8RFB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

73 Hank

The last contact I had with Hank was when he sent me an email saying he and Stan (and their wives) wouldn't be coming to the W9DXCC Convention this year (September 11, 2010) because they were instead, going to a Hamfest in Ohio.

However, I had the privilege of being with Hank at the convention in 2008 and 2009 and spent much of the time talking about DX, antennas, and the usual ham chatter that goes on at such events with him. We did the DX Pileup Contest together and while my pencil was barely moving, Hank was copying callsigns left and right. It was amazing to see in person how skilled he was. He was the essence of ham radio and no better operator or ambassador of our beloved avocation can be found.

When I was active in traffic handling, we would sometimes have a short QSO after the QMN Late Net talking about the latest DX goings-on and all the other interesting things happening with propagation. That late night QSO was many times, the highlight of my day.

My heart is heavy knowing the bands won't be quite the same without Hank.

We will miss you greatly my friend. Peace be with you and with your spirit.

K8DD de WB8RFB 73 ..._._

7. N1ASS

Obituary

Obituary
    Henry Richard Kohl | Visit Guest Book

Henry Richard Kohl Lum, MI Hank Kohl passed away peacefully November 13, 2010. He was born in 1943 in Harrisburg, PA to the late Anna (Bear) Kohl and Richard G. Kohl. In October 1971 he married Kathie Sadler in Imlay City. He is survived by his wife Kathie, his son Andrew (Melissa) Kohl of Port Huron, daughter Carolyn Kohl (Jeremy Opperer) of London, England and granddaughters Annjanette, Avery and Kate. He is also survived by his sister Dorris Fissel and preceded in death by his sister Jean O'Hearn. Hank served in the Air National Guard. He worked for Burroughs/Unisys for 37 years and retired as a field engineer. Hank also worked as a projectionist, a consultant for Port Electronics and in his teenage years as a soda jerk. In addition to his love for his family, Hank's passion was amateur radio and he held numerous callsigns. He enjoyed traffic handling, DX'ing, contesting, building radio kits and antennas. Hank would take yearly trips to operate radio from exotic destinations and was licensed in twelve different countries. He was a member of the Eastern Michigan Amateur Radio Club, Lapeer County Amateur Radio Association, American Radio Relay League (life member) and belonged to many other local, national and international amateur radio clubs and organizations. Hank was extremely honored to be inducted into the QRP Amateur Radio Club International Hall of Fame. He lived life to the fullest, his wit and knowledge will be missed by all his family and friends. When asked how he was, he would reply "Great, fine, wonderful, superb, stupendous, fantastic. If I were any better, I'd be twins." A memorial service is planned for April of 2011. Donations can be made to the ARRL Foundation Scholarship Fund, 221 Main St., Newington, CT 06111 or to the American Lung Association.

Published in The Times Herald from November 19 to November 21, 2010:(:(:(:(

8. KC1BUD

KC1BUD Ham Member QRZ Page

You guys always got us chuckling with "Party" from the back row at each meeting.

I have only known him for a few years and I will miss him greatly. I am truly saddened by his passing. I wished I could have talked to him more.

9. N1ASS

A celebration to remember Hank Kohl, K8DD(SK)

Preliminary Announcement

A celebration to remember Hank Kohl, K8DD(SK), will be held Saturday, April 9, 2011
    from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the Thomas Edison Inn, 500 Thomas Edison Parkway,
    Port Huron, MI (under the Blue Water Bridges) www.thomasedisoninn.com

You are invited to come and share memories, tell stories and/or lies about our friend.
    More information will be provided in March. Please pass the word. If you can’t make
    it to the party you are welcome to email thoughts and stories to be enjoyed with others.

We’ve a couple of months lead time but Kath would like you to RSVP for planning
    purposes so, when your plans are finalized, let either her or I know:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.